We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long do organised tours spend in Plitvice National Park?

Which Plitvice Lakes National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
106 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
How long do organised tours spend in Plitvice National Park?

Hi. We will be staying in Zadar late August and we would love to visit Plitvice National Park.

Does anyone know how long organised tours from Zadar allow for exploration of the park? And anyone know the cost?

It is mentioned on another forum (Split - Plitvice) that you only get 2 hours in the park on organised tours so this does not seem long enough. We like to walk and Plitvice is one of the reasons we are coming to Croatia. Any help would be appreciated as I am trying to work out whether we should travel on public transport or tour. The tour would be so easy! But will we have enough time to see the park. It sounds like you need 5 to 6 hours ...is this right?

Advice appreciated.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,026 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long do organised tours spend in Plitvice National Park?

I did a organised tour when I visited Plitvice Lakes in 2009 from Opatija. We only had three hours in Plitvice but it was satisfactory time to see the lakes. It is all down to personal preference, you could easily stay longer. May be interested in my trip report and photographs :-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294453-i1554-k2…

https:/…

Have a fantastic time!

Ireland
Level Contributor
106 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long do organised tours spend in Plitvice National Park?

Thanks WelshTraveller. We used your advice before on a previous trip. It was sound advice then too. Cheers.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,399 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long do organised tours spend in Plitvice National Park?

geeze,we almost ran the lakes are we were there for hours...we are fit and live at 6000 feet...wonder what organized tours do. please inform me. the wait between boats was long. have a wonderful tim ein croatia.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
3 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long do organised tours spend in Plitvice National Park?

We just got back from Zadar in early July. We rented a car and drove, took about 2 hours on great highways. No problem. We were there for hours wandering around. I did not notice tour groups until we were in the section where the Big Waterfall is. So they may only do a section of it, you might want to check to be sure.

If you do rent a car, note that you pay for your parking by the tourist shops BEFORE leaving and get a slip of paper to put in the machine.

Ireland
Level Contributor
106 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long do organised tours spend in Plitvice National Park?

Thanks everyone for your replies. We don't want to drive if we can avoid it and I am having a hard time with the translation of public bus details so we will wait until we get there and either take a bus tour or take public bus. We would prefer the public bus so we could have as long as we want at the park.

It all looks beautiful. Can't wait to see it for ourselves. Cheers.

6. Re: How long do organised tours spend in Plitvice National Park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, October 04, 2012