We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accom for a relaxing Korcula in late Sep

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Accom for a relaxing Korcula in late Sep

My boyfriend and I are going to Korcula for 4 nights and would like to stay in a part of the island which has walking distance to restaurants as well as relaxing places to snooze in the sun/swim in the sea. I don't really fancy staying in the main town as we are doing that in Split and Dubrovnik and would like some peace and quiet.

Can anyone recommend parts of the island that would be good for this and any character hotels/apartments. Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
816 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Accom for a relaxing Korcula in late Sep

try Lumbarda, I stayed there a few years ago and it was a real chill out location, but as you do not say when you are going it is difficult to estimate how busy it will be. I stayed in an apartment just on the edge of the village. I forget the name but I booked it via a UK agent about six months before I went as I did not want to turn up in a village with nothing confirmed. Shout if you want details and I will check my notes to see what I have.

USA
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Accom for a relaxing Korcula in late Sep

Korucla is actually a pretty laid back old town too...we stayed right outside of the walled part of town. It is no Dubrovnik...and not anything like Split. We stayed at an apartment owned by Tonci Gatti...nice place...if you are interested, I can get you the contact information. We drove to Lombarda...not very far away.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accom for a relaxing Korcula in late Sep

Thanks for this - very useful. We are going in mid-late Sep and I would appreciate any apartment recommendations.

Also, we will probably not be hiring a car, will this be a problem in gettign around if we base ourselves in Lumbarda?

London, United...
Level Contributor
816 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Accom for a relaxing Korcula in late Sep

There are public buses into town and on to the rest of the island

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
41,076 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accom for a relaxing Korcula in late Sep

I would say that you should stay in Korcula town and take the bus to Lumbarda. I think staying in Korcula gives you more options to shop, eat, listen to music, etc and not worry about catching the bus to Lumbarda when you are done at night. I have also stayed in Apartment Gatti right outside the Old Town, but the apartments there are better for more than two people. Maybe someone else can help you with another place to stay or contact Gatti and see if he has something smaller. Good luck!!

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
132 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accom for a relaxing Korcula in late Sep

There was a private accom noted in Rick Steve's Eastern Europe book (I think it was the only one for Korcula). We called and she was full, but gave us the number of her next door neighbor, Dora.

The location is excellent, right next to the nun's monastery, and right across the street from the water and a small pebble beach. It was within easy walking distance to town and harbor.

Dora's was fine, but nothing special except for the view. I really liked the place next door--it looked very charming.

I don't have the guide book anymore. It was a trip around the world and guidebooks got jettisoned along the way.

7. Re: Accom for a relaxing Korcula in late Sep

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 25, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Korcula Island
More Korcula Island Topics