We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Korcula - Best Place (village) to say

Durham
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Korcula - Best Place (village) to say

Hi

Going to Korcula middle of June for 2 weeks. Thinking of doing 10 nights in Vela Luka area and 4 in Korcula Old Town. Is this a good mix? OR, do you advise somewhere other than Vela Luka on the island combined with short stay in Korcula old Town. Any advise welcome - apartments. restaurants, etc etc. Thanks

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Korcula - Best Place (village) to say

Have you been to Korcula before?

Are you looking to cook in your own apartment or eat out every night?

Korcula has a lot more going on, but if you are looking for complete peace and quiet, then maybe another place would be nice. The setting is nice, but architecturally, VL has nothing on Korcula.

You might consider going to Lastovo for some of that time--a relatively quick ferry/catamaran ride from VL. If you want to get off the beaten path, you may as well get off it entirely. Lastovo has some stunning views but you could stay where the ferry is not coming and going constantly like VL.

Durham
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Korcula - Best Place (village) to say

Hi - Thanks for reply. ~Have not been to Korcula before but have been to other Croatian islands. We did wonder about Lumbarda but that is very near to Korcula old town - that is why we thought of splitting our holiday. Is Vela Luka nice or do you recommend any other village. We are definitely spending 4 nights nin Korcula old town. Thanks again

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Korcula - Best Place (village) to say

Not Lumbarda, which is a small island just offshore from Dubrovnik, I typed Lastovo. I only passed through VL long enough to walk to the cave and eat lunch. It is nice enough if you just want to hang out by the water, but there are probably prettier places if you like old towns, etc.

You can find out about all of the towns on Korcula on this website:

http://www.korculainfo.com/

And read about Lastovo here:

http://www.lastovo.org/en/home

Durham
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Korcula - Best Place (village) to say

Hi - Lumbardo is a small village not from Korcula Old Town. I am looking for a village/resort that is reasonably quiet but with restaurants and cafes. We are not wanting to do a two-centre holiday this year. Thanks for you help though.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Korcula - Best Place (village) to say

ha--my apologies, I am frazzled today! I was thinking Lokrum, but I know Lumbarda as well.

Since Lumbarda is so close to old town, and that end of the island has grown quite a bit, I think you are on the right track staying on the other side of the island. VL is really the only other place that will have more than one restaurant.

If you will have a rental car, you will have the entire island at your disposal. I quite liked Pupnatska Luka (just a beach really).

Even though June is getting close to high season, I really think you could even pick a place in old town to stay a few days, and rent a car one day to explore the island, pick the place you like best and find an apartment. The less popular places probably rarely book up.

Good Luck!

Lumbarda, Croatia
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Korcula - Best Place (village) to say

Lumbarda is a lovely place to stay, has 4 or 5 restaurants of its own plus the only sandy beaches on the island.

It has 2 grocery stores and one clothing store. And as any other villages, there are a plethora of cafes :)

If you are a walker, Lumbarda is only 1 hour from Korcula. Otherwise by bus or car it is about a 10 minute drive.

Korcula out does VL any day. I would switch and stay in Lumbarda for the larger portion of your trip.

You can stay in Korcula as well but it is busier, more expensive and it is hard to park if you do have a car.

My family has a property if you are interested. VRBO.com http://www.vrbo.com/348876

You are going to have a wonderful time!

Lynda Milina

7. Re: Korcula - Best Place (village) to say

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 am, February 12, 2013
Durham
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Korcula - Best Place (village) to say

Thanks for everyone's help and advice - I really appreciate it. Ivo would love details of the accommodation you recommend. Many thanks

Durham
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Korcula - Best Place (village) to say

Hi Luvgoin - After your suggestion - we have looked into Lastovo and are keen to visit there too. Cheers for help.

Korcula Island...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Korcula - Best Place (village) to say

Hi

please write me on ivooreb@gmail.com I will send you my offer, there are more apartments, not sure what you like, house on the beach out of city or apartment in center with a sea view. Also I need period to see if it is available.

Definitely combination of Korčula and Vela Luka is perfect for holliday, to Lastovo you can make a daily trip, there is ferry every day from Vela Luka.

Regards,

Ivo

Get answers to your questions about Korcula Island
More Korcula Island Topics