We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Split to Vela Luka in August

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry from Split to Vela Luka in August

Our flght arrives in Split at midday. Does anyone know the best ferry or catamaran to catch to Vela Luka. We are foot passengers. The day of travel is a Saturday.

Msida, Malta
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Split to Vela Luka in August

It is quicker and easier to get the catamaran at 5.00pm from Split as this takes you into the town of Korcula - then you can get a bus to Vela Luka (about 1 hour approx) - if you take the ferry this is on the outskirts of town and you would have to get a taxi to the centre and then get the bus to Vela Luka which would cost you more in money and time etc

The catamaran operates every day and leaves Split harbour opposite the train and bus station - you can purchase tickets even 10 minutes before departure but suggest that you arrive and board asap in August as the catamaran gets full in high season and if you want to sit then you have to board early.

There are cafes etc opposite where catamaran leaves from and if you get in early then there is a place where you can leave your luggage just next to the train station - you can then walk around Split and collect your luggage before boarding the catamaran

Have a good trip !

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Split to Vela Luka in August

Many thanks for such a quick reply!

We are a group of 6 and have an apartment booked in Karbuni. Would it be expensive to get a taxi from Korcula town to Karbuni?

Msida, Malta
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Split to Vela Luka in August

This is one thing that I find more expensive over here I do not know why but taxis are expensive here in comparisson to everything else which is cheaper than in UK or Euro - lot cheaper to take local bus and then you will also see lots of Korcula ie Čara, Brna - there is a local taxi who in my opinion is not too expnenive - if you PM me I will give you details and you can arrange pick up etc with him but must still advise this will cost a lot of money as you are travelling to the end if the island of the town of Korcula - here is the site for local knowledge of Korcula from this you will see how far from Korulca town is from Vela Luka

korcula.net

4. Re: Ferry from Split to Vela Luka in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, September 03, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Korcula Island
More Korcula Island Topics