We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying Stari Grad

South Africa
Level Contributor
243 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Staying Stari Grad

We are visiting Hvar island for 8-11 July 2014. We will be travelling by cat arriving at Jelsa, and departing again from Hvar town. I had a look at accommodation, and found accommodation looking good in Stari Grad. What I want to know, is it nice to stay in Stari Grad, the recommendation so far that I have received was between Hvar town and Jelsa. Any info on Stari Grad?

zagreb
Level Contributor
881 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying Stari Grad

Stari Grad is OK!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying Stari Grad

I used to work in Stari Grad for a couple of years during the summer season. In stari Grad you will find nice places to visit such as Petar Hektorović (Croatian writer) villa, beautiful places to eat and have a great drink (wine and Prošek (similar to Porto)). Make sure you have your coffee near the lantern where the tower is. Hvar is a 20 min ride by bus but be careful not to miss the last bus back. You have a beach to swim on the north shore and things to do. You can rent a scooter, kayak, sail and even try asking a fisherman to take you out early in the morning to collect fish. (contributions are highly appreciated, but pleasant company even more).

Hope this is helpful. Have a great holiday!

Cheers,

Marin

South Africa
Level Contributor
243 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying Stari Grad

Hallo Martin, thx for the info. Do you think Stari Grad could be a good base for us to stay, and by renting scooter or making use of public transport, we will be able to travel a little bit on the island for instance to Hvar/Jelsa etc? I find it difficult to get good accommodation at this stage in Hvar or Jelsa, which was my first choice, but can get a nice modern apartment in Stari Grad. The only down side to this apartment, is that I can not find any reviews, and not too sure about the location. Perhaps someone can help:

Apartment Madrugada

Ivice Stipišića 3, 21460 Stari Grad (Show map)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying Stari Grad

Jelsa will be 15 min by scooter or car from Stari Grad, you will definitely be able to travel around the island, especially to Hvar and Jelsa from Stari Grad. It is a bit of a last minute to find an accommodation, but I have no doubt you'll find some. Try this guy, his name is Jurko https://www.facebook.com/pinetta.restoran , I'm not sure if he can accommodate you, but I believe he can help, it's worth asking. His restaurant is definitely a place to eat and drink!

cheers,

Marin

South Africa
Level Contributor
243 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying Stari Grad

Thx again Marin. I really do appreciate. I did book apartment in Stari Grad, according to the owner about 500m walk from centre. Hopefully it will be okay. Will keep the Pinetta restaurant in mind. It seems that we will be able to do and see everything we wanted to from Stari Grad as our base..

6. Re: Staying Stari Grad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, June 12, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Hvar
Recent Conversations