We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Hvar to Sucuraj - Ferry to Drevnik

Which Hvar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Hvar to Sucuraj - Ferry to Drevnik

Has any one driven the road Hvar to Sucuraj in June or July 2013? I would like some personal take on how bad the drive is (road conditions, difficulty, time required for the trip, anything to see except the next curve on the road ahead)?

We are spending 2 full days in Hvar coming over on Jadrolinja ferry w car, overnighting in Hvar or Jesla then wanting to take the ferry to Drevnik since its shorter, stay overnight in Gradac then heading to Mostar for the day ending in Dubrovnik.

Please advise if due to bad road conditions we should just return to Split by ferry (but 2+ hours) or grit our teeth and spend a leisure day driving to Sucuraj.

thanks, Colette

england
Level Contributor
324 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Hvar to Sucuraj - Ferry to Drevnik

we did the opposite to you,took the ferry from Drvnik to Sucuraj (after spending time in Dubrovnik and Mostar) and drove northwards to Jelsa earlier this month. It was a simple but fairly slow drive from Sucuraj, the road was fine but a little windy in places, there was very little traffic. In one section the road had been upgraded and widened and work was continuing but there were no delays because of this.There is not great deal to see en route. The ferry is also much shorter (just 30 minutes), runs far more often and is much less expensive than Stari Grad to Split. It is certainly not a "grit your teeth days drive" by any means, it took us about 75 minutes I suppose and we were just taking it leisurely. We enjoyed that ferry experience far more than the Stari Grad to Split one.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Hvar to Sucuraj - Ferry to Drevnik

Thank you so very much for the first hand experience as I have accommodation already booked once we arrive in Drvenik so happy not to have to travel back via Split. How long did you stay in Mostar? is one day enough as we would like to head to Dubrovnik from Mostar.

Any recommendation for accommodation in Dubrovnik?

Much appreciated.

Colette

england
Level Contributor
324 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Hvar to Sucuraj - Ferry to Drevnik

Hi Colette, we visited Mostar for the day from lovely accommodation in Blace, about 45 minutes from Drvenik. We had to queue at the Bosnia Herzogovina border for about 40 minutes en route but there were no queues on the return journey. We only spent 3 or 4 hours in Mostar but that was partly because it was 38 degrees C and too hot to wander around too much although we really enjoyed our visit.We also wished we had stopped off at Počitelj on the way back as now I have read about it it sounds very interesting. I would not recommend our accommodation in Dubrovnik as it was overpriced and not great, there are far better places to stay I am sure.

UHants UK
Level Contributor
56 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Hvar to Sucuraj - Ferry to Drevnik

I have been asking similar questions in my post a little after yours - min - to do with Zarace Cove. There is some help for you as well in the replies from Jelsa. Also there a some clips on youtube which show the roads so you can get an idea before you go! Google Earth is quite usefull as well. Have a good trip!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
37,197 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Hvar to Sucuraj - Ferry to Drevnik

I didn't realize that google maps had street view of the road between Sucaraj and Hvar....neat to actually see the road that everyone talks about and sometimes fears!

UHants UK
Level Contributor
56 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Hvar to Sucuraj - Ferry to Drevnik

Hi, they don't have street view, but others have added photgraphs of the roads. The youtube clips are as good as, if not better than google street as they are filmed from a headcam on a motorbike!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
37,197 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Hvar to Sucuraj - Ferry to Drevnik

I just went from Sucaraj towards Hvar on my computer with the street view....or would that be called road view? I see that the road is very narrow in spots and I can see how people might get a bit scared with the road dropping down with no shoulder.

Harpenden, United...
Level Contributor
312 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving Hvar to Sucuraj - Ferry to Drevnik

I assume you have your own car. Otherwise

I have been organising renting a car in Croatia and be aware that most of car hire companies don't have insurance to cover you on ferry. Hertz was very efficient getting back to me so despite being told by everyone that no insurance possible on ferries for rented cars we’ve got it, at a cost. with hopefully a reputable company!

UHants UK
Level Contributor
56 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving Hvar to Sucuraj - Ferry to Drevnik

I had tried to get into google street on Hvar but no luck - so assumed they hadn't got there yet, but tried again and hey - there it is, even with what appears to be a gap at Jelsa. However, I still think the youtube clips are more useful for a driver as the moverment is constant - up to you!

england
Level Contributor
324 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving Hvar to Sucuraj - Ferry to Drevnik

I am a very nervous passenger when on narrow roads, especially if there is a drop to the side. On the roads above Hvar town in the lilac fields I was terrified and in tears at times but the road from Sucuraj to Jelsa was fine for me all the way!!

Get answers to your questions about Hvar