We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small boat hire

yorkshire
Level Contributor
15 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Small boat hire

We will be staying on hvar for a week in June and would really like to hire a small motor boat to explore the surrounding islands. We have never done this before and wondered how easy it is to navigate around the islands and not get lost !!! Thanks for any advice you can give.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small boat hire

dear Mackem, if you've never done it, please don't do it now unless you have experience in navigation (see my other posts). however, there are taxi boats to hire.

if you're experienced, there are numerous charter companies, with the best departure port to reach Hvar being in Split.

Enjoy Croatia!

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Small boat hire

Floating is easy (if you do not hit the rocks) hard to get lost (not too many islands around you).Problem is no license - no boat.( not required for rowing)

yorkshire
Level Contributor
15 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Small boat hire

Thanks for that...we are no steve redgraves so think we will be giving the rowing boat a miss !!! Thanks again.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Small boat hire

Hello

I thought I'd jump in here and ask a licencing question that happybypleasure might be able to answer. I'm going to be on Vis Island this June and want to hire a small boat for the day. In the US a boating licence isn't required but I do have several certifications from the American Sailing Association (ASA) that allows me to rent large sailboats from affiliated companies. Are you familiar if the ASA certifications will suffice for a licence?

Locke

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Small boat hire

at AZlocke, I don't know whether the ASA licenses are official US licence. If official, it should suffice. however, to stay on the safe side, the best would be to check with a charter company, since they're the ones leasing the boat...

have a good sea sailing friend!

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Small boat hire

In Hvar there are a lot boat rental companies, they are not strict with checking your licenses so you will have no problems with renting small boat. But traffic there is heavy in summer months so open your eyes and don't sail at night by any cost......

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Small boat hire

at vbublica, if the guy has ASA licence, he can sail whenever and wherever he wants to...

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Small boat hire

Thanks for the info

Sheffield, England...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Small boat hire

Hi,

Do you think we need to book in advance on the website before we arrive Hvar? Or it's better for us to book before a day we rent it. Please advise. Thanks :)

10. Re: Small boat hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 11, 2014