We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

havr car hire/travel advice

manchester
14 posts
Save Topic
havr car hire/travel advice

We are travelling to Hvar on sat 18th May for a week. We arrive at Split airport 12.45pm and leave there a week later at 1.30pm. I'm a little unsure of distances etc. I believe we have to get a ferry to the island from the port ? Are they infrequent at this time of year ? Question is should we hire a car at the airport or on the island or even not at all ? We plan to do a bit exploring but not too much, we are thinking of staying in Hvar town. What is the public transport like ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated ? thank you.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
47,047 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: havr car hire/travel advice

You will have to take a bus or taxi into Split from the airport. Once you get to Split there are two options to get out to Hvar...take a catamaran directly to Hvar Town or take a car ferry to Stari Grad..if you take this option you would then have to take a bus or taxi to Hvar Town. If you are renting a car to explore the island-wait until you get out there because it will cost quite a bit to travel with it on the ferry.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: havr car hire/travel advice

I have to disagree with the previous poster. We visited Hvar last year and are going again in May this year.

Having looked into car hire (again) it is cheaper to hire a car on the mainland than on Hvar. The difference is such that the additional cost of taking it on the ferry does not make it more expensive.

Collect it at the airport and you save the cost of public transport to and from the port, as well as having the convenience.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: havr car hire/travel advice

So, do you need a car for all the time? If staying in Hvar Town it is easier to get the catamaran (and they go mid to late afternoon and return early which suits your flights) and you can't take it on that. If you only want a car for a day or so to get around the island then it has to be cheaper to do that than get one for the whole week. The buses on Hvar are very good in my opinion.

Hvar, Croatia
Level Contributor
196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: havr car hire/travel advice

In May you can rent a car in Hvar for 39,00€/day or if you take it for 7 days price is 29,00€/day.

If you are traveling with car you have to take 2 hours ferry from Split to Stari Grad and than drive another 20 minutes to Hvar town and without car you can take 1 hour catamaran directly to Hvar town.

If you take car to island Hvar and back to Split you will spend 70,00€ for car ferry tickets(from June 1 it would be 85,00€)

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: havr car hire/travel advice

For UK residents, the best car hire company I can find for Croatia (who I used last year and will do so again this year) is; www.economycarhire.com. One weeks hire with FULL excess waiver included as standard is 86 GBP for 1 week (100 euro, which equates to 14.3 euro per day). They also include an additional driver at NO extra charge.

This is based on pick up/drop off at Split airport. Deduct the cost of return airport transfers to and from the port from this cost and you can see what a bargain it is, especially if you prefer to use a taxi rather than the bus (33 euro one-way).

So the maths: If you prefer a return taxi between the airport and the port, your car hire will cost you 100 euro - 66 euro (unused taxi) + 100 euro (return ferry fare) total 134 euro.

Hiring on Hvar for a week; 203euro - full excess waiver and additional driver not necessarily included!

Finally, the two hour trip to Stari Grad is very scenic and so is the drive from Stari Grad to Hvar Town.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: havr car hire/travel advice

Have just checked the price and the exchange rate and it is actually cheaper than I have recorded above:

If you normally use a taxi between the airport and the port, your car hire will cost you 100 euro (for 1 week) - 66 euro (unused taxi) + 83 euro (return ferry at current prices/exchange rates) total 117 euro.

Unless back packing, also the best option with luggage, not only for transportation but you can obviously leave it in the car if you want to shop or eat before catching the ferry from Split.

Hiring on Hvar for a week; cost of airport/port transfers (by bus or taxi) + 203euro - full excess waiver and additional driver not necessarily included!

You will also have to carry luggage between the various modes of transport.

Link to Ferry prices: www.hvarinfo.com/hvar-ferries/#1

Hvar, Croatia
Level Contributor
196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: havr car hire/travel advice

These are the prices for Hvar in May:

Renault Clio 1-2 days 39,00€/day, 3-6days 32,00€/day, 7+days 29,00€/day

Opel astra automatic 1-2 days 49,00€/day, 3-6days 40,00€/day, 7+days 34,00€/day

Opel Vivaro 8+1seat 1-2 days 79,00€/day, 3-6days 65,00€/day, 7+days 59,00€/day

Anyway from the airport you have bus for 4,00€ and it takes you 50meters from the catamaran to Hvar and you don't have to drive in Split which could be the problem if you don't know the roads.

If you rent a car in Hvar you will save at least one day of rent so it would be 6 days instead 7 even i think that you don't need the car for more than 4-5 days. Some rent a car agencies in Hvar have their own parking in the center and you can use it when you go to the center of town in other case you will have to pay the parking 1,30€/hour or 13,00€/day.

So if you calculated everything you will see that total cost for the Clio is the same(VW Polo is 122,00€/week) and for automatic car and Van prices are much better on Hvar.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: havr car hire/travel advice

The port in Split is easy to find as it is such a major focal point and clearly sign posted from all directions. Unless overnighting in Split, you would simply follow the major route directly to the port.

My first encounter with Split was arriving from Hvar via ferry, there were no clear signs pointing the way to Dubrovnik, but I found my way out of Split in the correct direction without any problems.

It all comes down to how confident you are driving in foreign countries, I have done so many times.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: havr car hire/travel advice

I forgot to mention that when I drove to Hvar Town on a couple of occasions it was easy to park for free.

There is an area that has loads of parking, mostly under trees and in the shade. It is near a huge night club inside what looks like a small castle. I spotted it from the castle that overlooks the town prior to driving in.

Looking down from the castle at Hvar Town and harbour, it is over to the right on a small hill, you will easily spot it.

manchester
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: havr car hire/travel advice

Many thanks for all the replies. I'm really looking forward to our trip to Croatia now, fingers crossed the weather is kind !

Get answers to your questions about Hvar