We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way hvar/split to istria & venice in midMay ?

Which Hvar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
227 reviews
Save Topic
best way hvar/split to istria & venice in midMay ?

How doable is this in May?

May16 ferry or catamaran from Dubrovnik to Hvar,

May 17 cat or ferry from Hvar to Split,

May 18 rental car from Split to Pula , Rovinj, or Rijeka as base for 3 days in Istria

May 22 ferry or boat to Venice?.

How long and how scenic is the drive from Split to Rijeca,and/or Pula and Rovinj?

What towns are particularly interesting to view enroute?

When will ferry /boat schedules be published for May travel from

1-Dubrovnik to Hvar and

2-from Istria points to Venice?

Durham
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best way hvar/split to istria & venice in midMay ?

There will not be a ferry between Dubrovnik and Hvar in mid-May. You would have to get the bus to Split.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best way hvar/split to istria & venice in midMay ?

thanks

Jadrolinja told me they have cancelled their car ferry service to dubrovnik and atlas cat says nothing published and usnure if there will be service, probably not.

Any other boat/ferry option for dub rovnik to hvar or from istria to venice?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,370 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way hvar/split to istria & venice in midMay ?

Ferries leave Istria for Venice a few times a week in May, I believe. Daily in high season. We've traveled by ferry from Venice to Porec but no other town. We usually get a rental car from Italy (as Venice is where we fly into from Canada).

I personally would not base myself in Rijeka - it is heavily industrialized and just not nearly as lovely as so many other places. I don't believe you would get the right flavour of Istria basing there. We know several people who live there and they say they are only there for their jobs otherwise they would not be. There are good things about it, but it does not even come close to comparing to Rovinj for example. It is a gorgeous place to stay. Stunning and packed with atmosphere and makes a great base. It will be fairly crowded in May but not nearly as crowded as July and August. We go each May and September/October and are amazed at how lovely it is each time. We do not get used to it! A medieval hilltown makes a nice base as well but it depends whether you want to be right on the sea or on the interior with hilltop/other village views. Either way you cannot go wrong. A sea view from or to Rovinj would be hard to beat, though.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best way hvar/split to istria & venice in midMay ?

What ferry or boat companies can I contact to learn if there will be ferry service from Istria locations to Venice in May?

How much is the dropoff car rental fee if we drove from Pula or Rovinj to Venice?

Driving within Croata AutoEurope quoted me a 120E dropoff fee for a 3 day rental..

How long is the drive from Pula or Rovinj to Venice?

5. Re: best way hvar/split to istria & venice in midMay ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:27 am, March 12, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Hvar