We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hvar Accomodations First Week of May - Need to Book Early?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Hvar Accomodations First Week of May - Need to Book Early?

We will on Hvar the first week of May, coming from stays in Dubrovnik and Korcula. We’d like to leave our schedule flexible as we may find we want to spend more or less time in Dubrovnik and Korcula than we are currently planning.

Would we would we be able make arrangements for accomodations on Hvar when we arrive on Hvar or just before we depart from Korcula, given that it is low season in early May?

I thought I’d read that there are often people greeting the arriving ferries offering rooms for rent. Is this true? Would they be there in May?

We are looking for simple accomodations, not a luxury hotel. We would be good with an aparment type accomodation, basic hotel or a room in someone’s house if it has some privacy. If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hvar Accomodations First Week of May - Need to Book Early?

Why in May?? :-(

During the summer people offering rooms for rent when the ferrie comes but I dont think they are doing that before summer.

You can try on this pages

http://www.ivanovic-hvar.com/Home.aspx

www.hvar-travel.com/en/apartments/hvarhvar1/

www.hvarinfo.com/hvar/hvar-apartments.htm

http://www.direct-croatia.com/apartments/hvar

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hvar Accomodations First Week of May - Need to Book Early?

Thank you, I will look into the links you provided..

As for May, we tend to travel in the spring and fall. We usually have great weather here in Canada in the summer so our summer vacations are to our cottage on the lake. We also travel to Mexico or the Caribbean for a winter beach vacation. It's a nice break from our cold weather!

For our trip to Croatia, we're going to enjoy the culture, history and everyday life of Croatia. We don't mind the spring weather and that it isn't high season for tourists.

Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,263 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hvar Accomodations First Week of May - Need to Book Early?

There is absolutely no need for booking in advance in that time of the year, just come by catamaran from Korčula,I suppose. You will disembark in the very centre of Hvar town, look around and you will see tables"apartments" on the houses. I think that some apt.owners would also accept a flexible date of arr. and dept.

Mihaela, very strange question why in May., have you ever been there in May?

4. Re: Hvar Accomodations First Week of May - Need to Book Early?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:10 am, January 20, 2012
Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hvar Accomodations First Week of May - Need to Book Early?

May is a lovely time to be in Croatia, full of flowers and very fresh. Only downside it is too cold to swim. Although you will find accommodation I find that it is often quite time consuming to sort out and I would rather spend my holiday time on holiday! Also, if you want something like a balcony, or cooking area, own bathroom etc then book ahead. My experience suggests that neither is it any cheaper.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hvar Accomodations First Week of May - Need to Book Early?

Hvar is beautiful during the summer time. Its full of young people, everybody is partying.. I love Hvar and I go there every year.

But of course, if you want to see culture and history then it doesnt matter when will you come.. :-)

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hvar Accomodations First Week of May - Need to Book Early?

Mihaela - I say with a big smile on my face - someone told me that all of the "beautiful" people go to party on Hvar in the summer. I fear that now that my husband and I are in our late 40's that we are no longer as beautiful or can we party like we could when we were young :-)

Jelsa and Jude - thank you for the replies. I think what I will do is research and have a few options for accomodations in mind before coming to Hvar. I probably won't book in advance as I'd like to be flexible. I'm hoping then I wouldn't have to spend a lot of time looking around, just contact the few I had in mind and hopefully at least one would have availability.

Jelsa, do you live on Hvar? If so, do you feel it's worthwhile to rent a vehicle on Hvar and tour the island on our own? Do you recommend any towns to visit, such as Jelsa?

Edited: 1:38 pm, January 20, 2012
8. Re: Hvar Accomodations First Week of May - Need to Book Early?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:40 am, April 25, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Hvar