We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is it so cold at night?

Which Cavtat hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
The Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
297 posts
204 reviews
Save Topic
Why is it so cold at night?

We have just arrived in Cavtat and have just walked back to our apartment. It is really cold and the temp is 64 deg. Can any locals tell me why it is so cool. We were in Trogir last week and when we arrived they were having a heat wave and it was hotter than usual (according to the apartment owner). It was so cold last night in Trogir that I had a cardigan and scarf on and all the sailors and yachties were in jumpers and jackets. I am hoping it improves as the days are hot but we have had more dull and cloudy days than we have in the Med or Greece at this time of year.

Level Contributor
7,898 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why is it so cold at night?

we just returned and had a heat wave in Dubrovnik but did not mind as it was sunny...then perfect weather in Korcula and Hvar and left split on June 29th as it rained and yes it was chilly at night...all locals will just say the weather this year is just strange.

The Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
297 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why is it so cold at night?

Yes, we have had the same reply from the locals. It is hot and sunny now in Cavtat, but still windy at night. Last night the wind was near gale force and it was like being on top of a mountain!

Level Contributor
7,898 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why is it so cold at night?

and everyone is talking about three weeks ago and how awful it was. I asked in Hvar about the lavender fields and while I realize most were destroyed by fire years ago they were having a lavender festival over the weekend. I was told that in May most of the crop was destroyed by hail!! I am afraid this new reality of weather is here to stay.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Why is it so cold at night?

Evenings here have been chilly, it is due to the north wind blowing which we call 'Bura.'

The Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
297 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why is it so cold at night?

Does the bura winds arrive at the same time each year?

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why is it so cold at night?

I packed a couple of pairs of trousers for evenings in Rovinj last month as am used to temperatures dropping significantly. In the event they were not needed, we were dining out in the mid 70s.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why is it so cold at night?

Bura doesn't have a schedule or parts of year when it is blowing, so you can expect it any time of the year. Plus, there are no rules for weather or temperatures anywhere, including here, so it can get really hot and also quite cold.

Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why is it so cold at night?

The weather on Hvar island is great at the moment, no heat in the night and sunny during the day!!

Nottingham
Level Contributor
66 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why is it so cold at night?

Now unsure what to pack as we fly over to Cavtat on Sunday as we thought it would be warm at nights. Would a fleece suffice (with trousers of course!) as really didn't want to be packing a thick coat unless absolutely necessary? Thanks.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why is it so cold at night?

I don't know about Cavtat but we went to Fuerteventura in March and it was windy and mid 60s at night but a light cardigan and trousers was more than sufficient. We will be in Cavtat in a couple of weeks and certainly won't be packing any coats. I'm a bit surprised that someone from the UK thinks that 64 is cold!