We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos

Which Cavtat hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
gateshead
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Topic
Mosquitos

Hi, we are going to Cavtat in July. Is there many mosquitos about at that time of the year? I cover up and put the spay on, but one or two the little blighters still get me. I have even been bitten on the very ends of my fingers.

Thankyou for any info Russ.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Mosquitos

Just back from Cavtat and suffered about half a dozen bites over the week. Would recommend a good repellent. Mind you the local red wine took my mind off them later each evening!

Newtownards
Level Contributor
24 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Mosquitos

Thanks Simba, ill take note of those and try when we are there

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
37,197 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Mosquitos

Rob S---maybe the mosquitoes liked the blood flavored with a great red wine from Croatia!

Galway
Level Contributor
27 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Mosquitos

We're off to Dubrovnik in July as well. I'm taking garlic tablets every day until then, apparently it's meant to put the mosquitos off. Vitamin B12 tablets are meant to deter them as well. Probably still end up soaking myself in Deet.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Mosquitos

I had B12 recommended to me when we went to Malaysia a couple of years ago. I used those with the bands that you can get and didn't get bitten once, which for someone who mossies seem to view as a buffet table, was a huge relief! Start taking the tablets 2 weeks before you go and continue each day you are there.

I'll definitely be doing the same when we are off to Cavtat at the end of August.

Prior to that it was spray, garlic tablets, citronella candles, the works :-)

The Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
290 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Mosquitos

Just got to Cavtat from a week in Trogir. I usually get bitten a few times whilst on holiday but this time I have been suffered from some very bad bites and a sting that was swollen for days. The bites are big and I have large red blotches that do not look very elegant. It is also cold at night for some reason and the temp goes down to the low 60's. Not impressed, especially as it was very hot when we arrived in Trogir on 22nd June. Hopefully it will improve in Cavtat as we have another week.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Mosquitos

Starting to spoil my holiday , worse at the moment ever , each day as my immune response gets more stimulated my bites get worse , I used to mock people who were getting bitten . Huge bite on my bum this morning , how !!! Searched bed for bedbugs , room for mosquitoes , nothing ! Apparently thes are Asian tiger mosquitoes which have overrun Europe and the USA , capable of carrying 20 different diseases . I think you would have to bath in deet , I would consider bringing a mosquito net . Sorry to ramble but I'm getting fed up!

The Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
290 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Mosquitos

Yes, they are really horrible. I also got 5 large bites on my bottom too and I wondered how. They were large and the scars are still there. Home now after a fabulous holiday in Croatia. Dubrovnik and Cavtat were fantastic places. Did not get as many bites in my second week.

gateshead
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Mosquitos

Well we are back now after having a fab holiday. Covered myself in deet but still got bit nine times. The funny thing is most of the bites were in places that were covered with clothes when we went out at night. So putting my Sherlock Homes head on; I think the mozzies were in the room, even though we had the plugin thing, plugged in. (If you know what I mean :-) )

But I must say they wont put me off coming back again, Cavtat is a beautiful place

Russ

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
37,197 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Mosquitos

Good to know that they all weren't going after Dubrovniktravelady!!