We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine recommendation & ATMs/credit cards

Cheshire
Level Contributor
91 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Wine recommendation & ATMs/credit cards

We will be going to Cavtat this Thursday and after reading all reviews are really looking forward to it. We are staying at the Zvrko apartments and we do like to have a glass of wine on the balcony. Are the wines in the supermarket local? Can anyone recommend a nice dry rose or white wine? I don't want to pick up something sweet or too rough!

Also, are Barclaycard credit cards widely accepted or should we make cash withdrawls - and are there plenty of ATMs?

Many thanks,

Prosecco64

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine recommendation & ATMs/credit cards

Plenty of ATM's but credit cards are also widely accepted.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine recommendation & ATMs/credit cards

We found some restaurants didn't take Amex.. But Visa accepted everywhere.

We searched for many wines in Croatia supermarkets mainly looking for some labels we knew but found little. It's really pot luck really trying to find a nice local wine. Some were okay and others horrible. Unfortunately; I cannot remember the names of the ones I liked !

Good luck...

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
59 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine recommendation & ATMs/credit cards

Did you ever find an agreeable white wine? We are off in 3 weeks time, and any advice would be most welcome.

Cheers

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
216 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine recommendation & ATMs/credit cards

If you can manage to find Istrian Malvazija try that. There are some really decent ones. Otherwise Dalmatian wine is red, more or less and also has some superb ones - Zlatan Plavac grand cru, Tomic barrique, Bura... Don't use supermarkets. There are winestores every where and they usually have a good selection (and might let you taste before you buy).

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine recommendation & ATMs/credit cards

Supermarket wines are fine as table wines. You can find good Malvazija, Grasevina, Traminac and few others. Look for producers from Kutjevo or Ilok. I personally like Teran, ruby red Istrian wine and I still did not find single one that I did not like. Even supermarket Teran by Istravino from Rijeka is just perfectly fine with me. I am not wine snob. I like good wine. Price has nothing to do with it. Yes. $30.00 wine is probably better than $8.00. But,m that does not mean I am going to like it.

You might try Zlahtina brand or even some wines from Herzegovina region like ZILAVKA, BLATINA....

If you like dry whites, you would probably love Zilavka. Even supermarket level quality is good....

visit-bosniaherzegovina.com/BusinessDirector…

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,080 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine recommendation & ATMs/credit cards

I've had some reasonable white grasevinas which I have bought in supermarkets.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
59 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine recommendation & ATMs/credit cards

Many Thanks for all your comments. Sounds like the ZILAVKA wines from Herzegovina region might be worth a try (to begin with!!!)

8. Re: Wine recommendation & ATMs/credit cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, May 31, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Cavtat