We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cavtat or Slano

Bournemouth, UK
Level Contributor
108 posts
10 reviews
26 helpful votes
Cavtat or Slano

Hi. I am trying to decide where to stay for a few nights in late August. Travelling with 5 & 2 year olds, and we will have a few nights in Montenegro before returning to near Dubrovnik. I think we've decided we should stay out of the main town. Cavtat is the obvious choice, but I looks like if we stayed north/west of Dubrovnik then it would make a few day trips (by car) easier: Mostar, Ston and Korcula.

Slano looks much quieter but maybe that's a good thing in August? Are there specific things to see in Cavtat or is it just the relative-quietness that takes people there?

Thanks!

2 replies to this topic
Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
14,188 posts
611 reviews
248 helpful votes
1. Re: Cavtat or Slano

Cavtat does have a few sights, and Sokol Grad fortress in its vicinity is worth a visit too

https://visit.cavtat-konavle.com/en/heritage

The House of Vlaho Bukovac is a museum (and, in fact, his actual home at one point) dedicated to this Croatian painter who was born in Cavtat in 1855.

The Racic Mausoleum was built in 1921 to a design by famed Croatian sculptor and architect Ivan Mestrovic using stone from the island of Brac.

The Baltazar Bogisic Collection in the Rector’s Palace contains items from the collection of this Cavtat-born lawyer (1834 – 1908), including books, notes, coins and more.

The church attached to the Our-Lady-of-the-Snow Franciscan Monastery (founded in 1484) is worth a look for some notable early Renaissance paintings and a wonderful Bukovac canvas depicting the Madonna and Child gazing at Cavtat at dusk. Concerts are regularly held in the cloister.

In St Nicholas' Church from 1th century, there is an impressive wooden altar and the accomplished Bukovac paintings of the four evangelists on either side of the sanctuary.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
793 reviews
235 helpful votes
2. Re: Cavtat or Slano

Hi, I have stayed in both and it depends on what you main aim is to do while there.

Slano is beautiful and quiet and is wonderful to kick back, relax and swim on an August day. There are some nice restaurants and some lovely places to stay. A couple of large hotels or quite a few villas. It is also a convenient place to base out of if you are interested in tours to places like Mostar, Ston and Makarska. There is a church with a monastery next door. This also has a museum. There are a couple of bars, a little shop, but the best thing is the water, the little beaches and relaxing way of life.

Cavtat is a larger town, with more options for staying and eating. Depending on where you stay, just check the parking is close by. Some places don’t have parking near. The previous post explains Cavtat quite nicely.

If I was to stay there again (not too far away) I would stay in Slano.

Have a lovely stay.

Reply to: Cavtat or Slano
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted