We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jiuzhaigou to Chengdu by plane - strange or not?

Which Jiuzhaigou County hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Jiuzhaigou to Chengdu by plane - strange or not?

Hi all

I was looking into booking flights from Jiuzhaigou to Chengdu. The prices are heavily discounted and cost 520RMB + 130RMB in tax (www.ctrip.com). However, the condition of the sale price is that you MUST be over 55 years old to book this fare

Is this normal or is this some kind of 'pensioner discount'

Any thoughts, ideas or clues?

Regards

Dtv

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jiuzhaigou to Chengdu by plane - strange or not?

I also noted just then the prices is also discounted for ONLY those who are 12-23 years of age

I am in my mid 30's. I don't know if 'age discrimination' is the right word, but it seems quite rather odd...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jiuzhaigou to Chengdu by plane - strange or not?

By the way the flight bookings was 11/06/2012 Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou and 15/06/2012 Jiuzhaigou to Chengdu

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,938 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jiuzhaigou to Chengdu by plane - strange or not?

Wish they had had those when I went! Never heard of senior discount on Chinese airlines.

Guilin
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jiuzhaigou to Chengdu by plane - strange or not?

I also noted that for several times, not only the line between Chengdu and Jiuzhaigou. It seems it is a discount plan to encourage elder people to travel offered by some air companies. Sometimes the beneficiary can be teacher, students, or new marriages, etc. Therefore I don’t think it is a kind of age discrimination.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jiuzhaigou to Chengdu by plane - strange or not?

Does this age discount apply to locals only? I vaguely remember that the senior age discount does not apply to foreigners in certain tourist attractions in China.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,913 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jiuzhaigou to Chengdu by plane - strange or not?

This is a kind of promotion made by China Eastern Airlines (only this airlines). Sometimes on some routes this kind of discount is available. So in a words, 55+ is a random launched discount.

BTW, this discount is applied to two generations:

12-24 and 55+.

7. Re: Jiuzhaigou to Chengdu by plane - strange or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, June 18, 2013