We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long is the drive from Lijiang to Shangri-la?

Seattle
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How long is the drive from Lijiang to Shangri-la?

Hello:

We are trying to decide whether to fly from Chengdu to Zhongdian (Shangri-la) or fly into Lijiang and use a car/driver to drive onto Zhongdian.

How long is the drive?

Mentioned in this post
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
Lijiang
Lijiang
Yunnan, China
Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long is the drive from Lijiang to Shangri-la?

The two will end up with same money and time spent as long as you will definetly visit Lijiang. Drive one way is 4 hrs.

Mentioned in this post
Lijiang
Lijiang
Yunnan, China
Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How long is the drive from Lijiang to Shangri-la?

It took us about 4 hours totally from Lijiang to Zhongdian. On the way, we made a stop over Shigu town,the huge bent of the Yangtze river, better not do it, far more worse than we expected.

Part of the road, about 1 hour after driving out of Lijiang, was under construction, not paved. We saw a new expressway being built along the old one.

Edited: 5:16 am, March 28, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Lijiang
Lijiang
Yunnan, China
Seattle
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long is the drive from Lijiang to Shangri-la?

Very much appreciate any information about the roads, etc in and around Lijiang and Shangri-la.

We will be spending almost two weeks there in July. Thank you. I see you are from Chengdu. We will be there for just a short stay prior to flying into Lijiang. Any recommendations? Our focus, of course, is the pandas.

Mentioned in this post
Lijiang
Lijiang
Yunnan, China
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
229 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long is the drive from Lijiang to Shangri-la?

Flyingsoul, please explain what you meant by "better not do it".

By "it", do you mean the whole drive or just the stop?

And why; what was "far worse than expected"?

Thanks,

Roni.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How long is the drive from Lijiang to Shangri-la?

sure, panda is "Must-See" herein chengdu, then Giant buddha at Leshan is another amazing thing, very huge magnificent statue.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How long is the drive from Lijiang to Shangri-la?

Hi Roni,

I mean "you'd better not do the stopover at Shigu town" when I said "better not do it". I expected the first bent of Yangtze river should have been an impressive view, but it tured out to be a peaceful turning there, several small boats floating randomly at the river bank, maybe, Nov. is not the right season.

Hope it is clearer this time.

Seattle
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long is the drive from Lijiang to Shangri-la?

How far is the Giant Buddha from the town of Chengdu? How long would it take to drive there?

Mentioned in this post
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How long is the drive from Lijiang to Shangri-la?

around 150 kms, takes 2 hours one way, all expressway.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,548 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long is the drive from Lijiang to Shangri-la?

When you drive to Zhongdian/ShangriLa from Lijiang, the whole day is a tour.

You get to see Lijiang Old City, if you so choose, and its Black Dragon Pool Park. On the drive, you go through the Tiger Leaping Gorge. Then you begin the ascent up to the Tibetan Plateau, a great scenic drive, especially if you are sitting on the right-side. While there may be some minor construction, the road up to the Plateau from TLG already is new. Once you get up to the plateau, have your driver stop so you can take pictures of the unique Tibetan farmer architecture and the yaks. I even walked off the road a few feet to take pictures of the yaks.

I enjoyed the drive immensely and can highly recommend it if you enjoy geography, scenery, architecture and observing common rural life. Four hours is a good estimate including some stops for photos at TLG and up on the Plateau.

Edited: 10:22 am, March 31, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Lijiang
Lijiang
Yunnan, China
Seattle
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How long is the drive from Lijiang to Shangri-la?

Thank you. We will be spending ten days between Shangri-la and Lijiang. I have visited Lijiang once before, but only had two days to visit Lijiang. This time am interested in more hiking, bike riding, and learning more about the ethnic cultures.

Do you have any recommendations?

Mentioned in this post
Lijiang
Lijiang
Yunnan, China