We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou and back

Which Jiuzhaigou County hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Penang
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip from Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou and back

I plan to take a 10 day road trip this coming April 2011 with 6 family members who are all senior citizens, (aged between 50-80 years old) from Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou by the east and west ring roads and then to Leshan and Mt Emei before returning back home. We hope to experience the sights of the villages and local Sichuan cuisine along the way. I would appreciate comments and advise about the road conditions to and from Jiuzhaigou from members who have taken such a similar trip recently. I am also looking for a good English speaking tour guide to accompany us for the trip, any good recommendation will be greatly appreciated.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Road trip from Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou and back

With the recent July 2013 flooding and rain, can anyone advice whether it is possible and safe to travel on the return road trip from Jiuzhaiguo to Chengdu with stopover at Maoxian,Leshan & Mt Emei ? This was the initial travel itinerary planned for 1st week of August 2013.

Sichuan, China
Destination Expert
for Jiuzhaigou County, Chengdu
Level Contributor
705 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Road trip from Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou and back

The road from Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou travels north through Wenchuan and Maoxian. Leshan and E Mei Shan are south of Chengdu. The road has been badly damaged and therefore it is not possible to travel from Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou. It should be open again by August though. The repair will take a few weeks at least according to early reports.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Road trip from Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou and back

How about the jiuzhaigou park itself? Is it ok there? How about the roads from airport to jiuzhaigou and huanglong? Are they ok for travel?

Tokyo, Japan
2 posts
Save Reply
64. Re: Road trip from Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou and back

We just came back from a 8 days trip Chengdu-Songpan-Jiuzhaigou-Ruoergai-Hongyuan-Lixian-Wenchuan-Chengdu. It was one of the best trip in my life,our tour guide Haba(haba_naci@163.com)arranged everything for us,hotel,van,driver,food, we visited lots of remote Tibetan and Qiang people's villages,did some leisure hiking on the pretty mountain and grassland,saw a lot of yaks,snow mountains and lakes,the unique scenery can't be found anywhere else.

We met some landslide at the end of the trip,but it didn't affected my journey at all. Actually most part of the road was very good with pretty scenery.

Sichuan, China
Destination Expert
for Jiuzhaigou County, Chengdu
Level Contributor
705 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Road trip from Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou and back

The roads to and from the airport in Jiuzhaigou to Jiuzhaigou and Huanglong were not affected by the bad weather.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Road trip from Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou and back

Public bus Chengdu-Jiuzhaigou is reopened since 25th July.

Canada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Road trip from Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou and back

Hi lo_kelvin1

Can you provide the contact of the recommended the English speaking tour guide / driver for your trip.

Thanks

Canada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Road trip from Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou and back

Hi lo_kelvin1

Can you provide the contact of the recommended the English speaking tour guide / driver for your trip.

Thanks

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
69. Re: Road trip from Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou and back

The road from Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou twists and turns all the way. You'd better take some sickness medicine in advance.

Asia
Level Contributor
866 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Road trip from Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou and back

I was lucky I didn't feel motion sick in the bus. Not a fan of medicines.