We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The photos don't lie!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
39,339 posts
434 reviews
Save Topic
The photos don't lie!

Just back from Jiuzhaigou and I have to say the photos DO show the real thing. I spent 3 full days in the valley and walked my legs off. Definitely worth spending more than one day. If you have to cut short, give the Rize Valley a miss as the seasonal lakes are empty right now.

Instead of eating at the overpriced Visitor Centre walk up the hill a wee way, or wait until you get down to Shuzheng Village and eat Tibetan food. Instead of 50-80 for a Chinese meal I had a delicious yak sandwich for 25 RMB.

I strongly recommend the new Eco-tourism venture whereby you travel up the un-touristed Zahru Valley, visit Zahru Village and then hike up into a former yak meadow, where you camp for the night. Good quality camping equipment is provided and the guides speak excellent English.

Sichuan, China
Level Contributor
721 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The photos don't lie!

Hi Zhuhai, I am assuming you mean the Ze Cha Wa valley's seasonal lakes are empty because the Rize valley lakes (arrow bamboo, panda lake etc.) have water all year round.

Where did you try the Yak sandwich? I must try that the next time I'm there!!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
39,339 posts
434 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The photos don't lie!

Ok, now I'm confused. The colourful map I bought shows it as "Reze" Valley but the park's website shows "Rize" Valley being the main "Jiuzhai" Valley and the Zechawa Valley being the one with the (dry) seasonal lakes.

I had to invent my own yak sandwich. A small store at the front of the Shuzheng Village, facing the large prayer wheels offered yak meat and "barley cookie" as two separate items. The barley cookie turned out to be a delicious fresh flatbread which I filled with the yak meat.

3. Re: The photos don't lie!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 pm, September 01, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,816 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The photos don't lie!

Sounds like you had a great time Zhuhai.

Do they have Yak Yogurt LOL. Really miss Yak yogurt - very creamy that you drink with a straw. (Not too keen on the Tibetan butter tea tho!)

5. Re: The photos don't lie!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 19, 2010