We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Altitude sickness at JZG

Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Altitude sickness at JZG

Hi,

I want to bring my mum to JZG, she is 72 years old and in good fit, but I want to avoid gong to scenic spots higher than 3000m, is this possible and are there any best scenic spots below 3000m?

We plan to fly in from Chengdu and back.

I have been to Tibet before and I know what AMS feels like, but I was handling it much better than some others in my group. I've also been to Karakoram Highway and Karakul Lake, but I didn't feel the AMS symptoms except for shortness of breath when walking upwards. It was nothing like the AMS symptoms I had in Tibet.

So, I was wondering, does anyone know what the altitude effect is at JZG, if it's only like Karakul or more like Tibet?

I understand that the airport is at 3500m high, so how was the feeling when you landed?

Mentioned in this post
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
51 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Altitude sickness at JZG

Jiuzhaigou is okla, but if you are heading to Huanglong, you need some perparation for high altitude...

Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Altitude sickness at JZG

Hi Wil....

are there many scenic spots at below 3000m and are there any best ones at that level too?

Were there many elderlies who visited JZG during your trip?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
51 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Altitude sickness at JZG

yes, I've been there several times, there were a lot of elder people. No problem. Don't worry about it.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Altitude sickness at JZG

Sorry, I don't know the specific altitudes of the various spots in Jiuzhaigou, so I can't really answer you on that question.

However, transport within Jiuzhaigou is mainly by shuttle bus (these operate in a similar manner to public buses -- just hop-on-hop-off), so it's not too strenuous. Whatever walking that needs to be done can be done at your own pace.

I have another elderly teacher from Singapore who also visited Jiuzhaigou some time back, I'm not sure of her age but I'll be willing to bet that she was at least 60+ when she went. I don't think she reported any problems.

There's no sure way to say who'll get affected by AMS and who won't. However, I think I've heard that it tends to affect young (hot-blooded) males of around 19-27 years of age... not too sure about the age range, but it's around there.

I just returned recently from a trip to NW China which included the Karakoram Highway and Karakul Lake. I had a slight headache at Karakul Lake, but I'm not sure if it was due to the altitude. I've not been to the Tibet Autonomous Region but I've been to what's called Greater Tibet, meaning the Tibetan areas of Yunnan, Qinghai, Gansu and Sichuan provinces -- Jiuzhaigou falls in this category. In all these areas I've not experienced AMS symptoms, not even when I went from 1900m to 4000-5000+m altitude by car within 18 hours. I might have been lucky though.

My friends and I flew in from Xi'an, didn't feel "strange" or anything when we landed.

Email me at ellyse99@yahoo.com with "TripAdvisor TravelnExplore" if you'd like to meet up in Singapore sometime in August to chat about travel plans and etc. I'll be back there for about 3 weeks.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Altitude sickness at JZG

However you need to be a little more wary if you're planning to visit Huanglong as well. There's quite a lot of climbing involved and what's worth seeing is at the very top. There's only 1 route up and another route down so there's no circumventing it.

You might also like to know that oxygen canisters are available for sale.

6. Re: Altitude sickness at JZG

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, September 06, 2009