We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-3 days: Shanghai or Beijing?

Which Shanghai Region hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
13 posts
Save Topic
2-3 days: Shanghai or Beijing?

I will be in Hangzhou for business at the end of May and want to take an addl 3 days to see more. Any recommendations: Beijing or Shanghai? I will be traveling alone, if that makes a difference. My main purpose is sightseeing - I am torn with Beijing's historical significance and Shanghai, the booming city.

Any tips on

-how to get to either?

-tours?

-what not to miss in each city?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-3 days: Shanghai or Beijing?

Beijing will be an overnight train ride away on the comfy Z train. Shanghai is about 2 hours away by train. It'd obviously be cheaper to visit Shanghai instead of Beijing for the 3 days that you have.

If you can, I'd recommend visiting a water village (eg Xitang http://www.xitang.com.cn) enroute from Hangzhou to Shanghai. In Shanghai, my favourite picks would be the Shanghai Museum, Shanghai Municipal History Museum, the Bund, Yuyuan Gardens and Bazaar, brunch of Nanxiang xiaolongbao in the famous restaurant at Yuyuan Bazaar, Xintiandi, a drink and bird's-eye view from Cloud 9 bar in Grand Hyatt (Jinmao Tower), Nanjing Lu pedestrian street and a walk in the French Concession.

Let me know at ellyse99ATyahoo.com (substitute @ for AT and please include your username on TripAdvisor, thanks) if you want me to show you around or anything when you're in Shanghai/Hangzhou. :)