We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Shanghai to Beijing

Which Shanghai Region hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Shanghai to Beijing

In lieu of flying to Beijing, we are considering taking the night train to Beijing in a 2 berth soft sleeper cabin. We are looking for any hints from travellers who have done this trip and advice if we need to pre book or book when we are in Shanghai in Feb 2006.

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Shanghai to Beijing

There are several overnight trains each day between Shanghai and Beijing. Unless you will be travelling around the beginning or end of the Chinese New Year (Jan. 29 and through the following week), you can get tickets once you arrive in Shanghai. Pre-booking would cost more.

I've never taken the two-berth cabin. The four-berth soft sleeper and even hard sleeper on those trains are very nice, though of course you must share those with other passangers.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,255 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Shanghai to Beijing

The train costs 921 RMB for the lower bunk and 881 RMB for the upper bunk. IMO I'd just take the normal 4-person soft sleeper for 478 (upper) and 499 (lower) RMB instead. The tickets go on sale 20 days in advance so it'd be wise to buy in advance (ie when you first arrive in Shanghai); besides, this is a peak travel period for the locals (Chinese New Year).

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,255 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Shanghai to Beijing

I forgot to mention that buying in advance (not pre-booking via agent, that's different) doesn't cost any more money than what's stated on the ticket. I know, cos I've just helped to buy tickets for 2 friends of mine!