We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I-65 Construction

Which Birmingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indiana
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Topic
I-65 Construction

Will be coming through Birmingham from the north on a friday between 4 & 6 pm on I-65. How bad of a traffic backup can I expect?

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I-65 Construction

Make sure you have a full tank of gas before you pass through downtown. From there through Shelby County (about 20 or so miles), it will be a parking lot at that time of day. Not because of construction, but the regular rush hour traffic. The construction going on now shouldn't affect you much at all. I would recommend stopping for a long dinner break just north of Birmingham or maybe in Pelham. Or adjust your plans to get through Birmingham no later than 3 - that is when traffic gets crazy headed south - or later than 6.

Indiana
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I-65 Construction

Thanks very much for your help. Spending the night in Pelham & think we'll try for a 3 pm checkin

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I-65 Construction

Depending on when you are coming the Tennessee River bridge at Decatur may be a bigger issue. Beginning 7/16 the bridge will will have one lane in each direction closed for the next 20 days. If you're coming during that time period I would suggest you exit in Athens at Hwy 72W and take Hwy 31 south to Decatur and then take Hwy 67 (Pointe Mallard Pkwy) back to the interstate. The state is predicting traffic backups of around 12 miles at peak travel times and is encouraging people that are coming from the north to detour well before the Hwy 20/I-565 exit.

Indiana
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I-65 Construction

Thank you very much Coaster. 9/14 is our travel day, so hopefully they that will all be done.

Buddy

5. Re: I-65 Construction

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:47 am, July 14, 2013