We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birmingham Alabama Safe motels

Appleton, Wisconsin
1 post
Save Topic
Birmingham Alabama Safe motels

We are driving south to Pensacola and plan to spend a night in the Birmingham area off I-65. What areas of Birmingham would you recommend for safe lodging?

Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birmingham Alabama Safe motels

So that you will be south of Birmingham when you start out the next morning, look at places in Pelham. Exit 246 is Cahaba Valley Road or Hwy 119. There are lots of places at that exit to choose from - Best Western, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn & Suites and a couple more that I can't think of right now. There are lots of food options in the area, and it is safe.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birmingham Alabama Safe motels

Previous answer is a good one if you're in a hurry. If you have some time to play, you might try the Hampton Inn near Barber Motorsports Park, if you can spare two or three hours the following morning. It's across the street from the racetrack and the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum, which is worth some time. That's across town from I-65, though. Maybe 15 miles out of your way.

If you want to hit the restaurants, Hotel Highland at Five Points South is OK. It's about a mile from I-65. You'll have to valet your car and dodge a few panhandlers, but there are great restaurants within blocks and it's safe, despite what people from the burbs might say.

Bethalto IL
Level Contributor
96 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birmingham Alabama Safe motels

Last year we did the same route and stayed at the Hyatt Place, it was a great location. We swam for a bit and then went to Longhorn and had dinner and it was great. Very safe area located in a business park area.

4. Re: Birmingham Alabama Safe motels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, May 18, 2013