We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for trip at the end of March

Which Birmingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jeannette...
Level Contributor
34 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel for trip at the end of March

I was trying to figure out if it would be ok to stay in the Irondale area since I saw some discussion about staying in the airport area. I wasn't sure if this is considered the airport area but it does come up in searches for that area.

I'd appreciate any input anyone would have about this. I was looking at the Holiday Inn Express. My other option was to stay downtown at the Courtyard which has good reviews on here but was a little more cost. I will have a car and have no big plans other than going to the BJCC arena one evening and checking out the zoo and the area during the two days I'm there.

Thanks for any input.

south
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel for trip at the end of March

I don't know much about the Irondale area but if you can find something in Mountain Brook, Hoover, or even 5 Points (which has an active nightlife and a hotel - the name of which I can't remember but it is fairly inexpensive and OK) you should be in good shape.

birmingham
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel for trip at the end of March

It depends what you want. There is a Hampton Inn in Mountain Brook (HW 280) that normally has good rates. It is close to good restaurants, zoo, shopping and BJCC downtown. Irondale is farther away from the areas you want by about 10 minutes. Based on what you are saying the Hampton Inn mountain brook is the best place. Be sure to check out Taziki's restaurant in the strip next to the hotel - great, inexpensive Greek/american food!

Jeannette...
Level Contributor
34 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel for trip at the end of March

Thanks for the information. I will check things out in the Mountain Brook area and see what type of rates I can get. I do have a car so I am pretty flexible. I'll also have to check out that restaurant. Thanks again for both of your inputs.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel for trip at the end of March

hampton inn in mtn brook is great. also courtyard in homewood ... both are very close to the airport. If you want something closer to the civic center, the Tutwiler is a historic hotel downtown. But I'd go for the Hampton every time.

If you like good food, try Bottega in Southside. take 31 North from Mtn Brook and get off at Highland ave. Bottega will be right in front of you. There are 2 sides ... casual on the right and more upscale on the left. The pork loin in the casual Bottega is awesome, as is the chicken scallopine.

Jeannette...
Level Contributor
34 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel for trip at the end of March

Thanks for the restaurant recommendation. I'll have to try and get there to try the food. I did find a good rate at the Residence Inn in Homewood. The area sounded good and I have a car so no problem about getting into town or anywhere else I might want to go. It didn't look like it was very far into town or to Mountain Brook area. Appreciate your input and any others also. Thanks.

birmingham
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel for trip at the end of March

Residence Inn is nice. My family has stayed there before and reported nice things about it. You should be close to I 65, so everything will be convienent.

The Zoo is close, and there are three great eating/shopping villages nearby (mountainbrook village, english village and crestline village.) I would take a walk through the botanical gardens across the street from the zoo (Free admission!)

A trip to the Civil Rights institute is worthwhile, and Vulcan Park is cool, as is Oak Mountain State Park. A google search for those will tell you more about them and directions and whatnot. I would look at www.birminghammenus.com for some great dining options. One Exit North from your hotel (Oxmoor Rd.) has a great restaurant attached to teh local culinary institute. http://www.therestaurantatculinard.com/

hope you have a nice visit! let me know if you need any more info.

Jeannette...
Level Contributor
34 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel for trip at the end of March

I really appreciate all the info. I was actually planning on seeing a number of the places you mentioned and hope to get to see all the others. The dining suggestions are a great help too. I can't think of any other questions I have right now but if I do I'll post another question. Thanks for all the great help!