We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend trip ideas

Which Birmingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
64 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend trip ideas

We are thinking of visiting Birmingham for a weekend trip and looking for ideas. I will have 4 kids with me ages 11-16 yrs old. What do people think about the zoo and Tannehill historic museum? I know we will visit the Civil Rights Museum. We haven't been there since it first opened. We have been to the McWane center a few times so we may skip it this time. Also looking for a "suite" hotel for us. We are looking for forward to our getaway. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
294 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend trip ideas

You might try Oak Mountain State Park. There are paddle boats to rent in season, and some cool trails, along with an animal rescue place, with birds, squirrels, etc. I've also heard great things about Barber Motorsports. If you have boys along, they might think that was cool. Alabama Adventure is good for the waterpark, if you're coming during warm weather months. McWane is still one of our favorite places. There's not a ton to do at Vulcan, but a picnic might be fun there.

The Civil Rights Museum is awesome. it's definitely worth a second look. Also, if there are movies at the Alabama Theatre while you're here, it's an amazing place, too. They often do weekend movie nights of old classics.

If yours is a shopping group, be sure to go to the Galleria and/or the Summit. The Galleria is enclosed, so it's good for any weather. Tannehill is good, if you're into history, and if the weather is good. Otherwise you might be disappointed

Any hotel on the Highway 280 corridor would be safe. There are several new hotels that I think include suites on Highway 150 near the Galleria. LaQuinta Inn and Suites off Valleydale Road is nice, and all the places near Oak Mountain are safe, too.

There's two other things near Oak Mountain they might enjoy, if you don't have them at home -- a very nice (smoke-free) bowling alley off Highway 31 and an ice skating rink at the Pelham Civic Complex. Pelham also has an amazing public tennis facility, if you're into that.

Hope that helps!

2. Re: Weekend trip ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 09, 2010