We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Bars in Five Points?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
127 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Best Bars in Five Points?

Coming in for bowl game...planning on doing New Year's Eve in Bham staying at the Aloft...in Homewood.

Could someone please give me an idea of the best bar/taverns in Five Points? Any great Irish bars or one's that will have live music.

35 years old....Like everything aside from listening to pounding electronica...your help appreciated!

MountPleasant

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
133 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Bars in Five Points?

I highly, highly recommend The J. Clyde in Five Points.

Great pub on a brick paved lane.

Great atmosphere, food and beer. You won't find Bud or Miller in this place. They know beer and have a selection anyone would appreciate. High gravity beer on tap and in bottle.

No other bar in Five Points compares...not even close.

http://jclyde.com/

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
127 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Bars in Five Points?

Thanks 1last...it looks right up my alley...

could you give a 2nd? Perhaps for those in my party that want another flavor style bar?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
133 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Bars in Five Points?

Not sure what other flavor type bar you're thinking of, but some other Five Points South choices near The J. Clyde would be:

- Blue Monkey (right next to The J. Clyde) is a martini bar

- Ruby Tuesday (the chain restaurant/bar)

- Dave's Pub (a good neighborhood type of place)

Florence, Alabama
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Bars in Five Points?

Daves is a cool little bar. Big fan.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Bars in Five Points?

If you like dive bars The Upsidedown Plaza is a must. Make it your last stop of the evening, they usually dont get busy until 12 or 1am. But the best bar in town is The Garage, amazing place. Was rated a top ten bar to travel to in GQ magazine.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Bars in Five Points?

Ok, I know it's too late for you, but being that I was just there, I have to add my two cents worth . . . We looked at the Upsidedown Plaza, but alas, I think somehow I've gotten too old for those kind of places. At least that night, it looked like a college dive bar, not just a dive bar. Instead, we ended up at Blue Monkey's, which we absolutely loved. It is an beautiful place, while still being funky and not stuffy or ritzy. The prices were good, the drinks great, the piano bar in the back was a lot of fun, and again, the place was very, very cool.

7. Re: Best Bars in Five Points?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 07, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Birmingham