We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Through Birmingham

madison, fl
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting Through Birmingham

In a couple of weeks I will be traveling to Arkansas. My trek will take me from Tallahassee, FL through Birmingham. I will enter Birmingham form the south via I-65 sometime between 3:30 and 4:30. I am attempting to get on Hwy 78 or the soon to be I-22.

My questions are:

1) What should the traffic be like between 3:30 and 4:30?

2) Is taking I-65 to malfunction juction to I-20 to Hwy 5/78 to near Graysville the best way to get on soon to be I-22 or is there a better way?

Mentioned in this post
Arkansas
Arkansas
United States
Tallahassee
Tallahassee
Florida Panhandle, FL
Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting Through Birmingham

Traffic won't be terribly bad northbound in the afternoon, but it will be heavy. Keep in mind that there is interstate construction in Shelby County south of Birmingham, but all lanes are open.

To get to Corridor X/Future I-22, going to the Arkadelphia Rd. exit to Hwy 78 is probably the easiest, but I prefer a different route that bypasses all of the traffic lights on Hwy 78. Stay on I-65 through malfunction junction to the 41st Ave. exit (about a mile north of the interchange). There is construction in this area, but all lanes are open. At the bottom of the exit ramp, turn left on Daniel Payne Rd. Travel on Daniel Payne approx. 2.75 miles to Cherry Avenue. Turn right. You will travel through a residential area for a couple of miles. Cherry Avenue will intersect with Corridor X where it currently ends. Turn left onto it and you will have interstate highway all the way to the Tennessee state line.

Mentioned in this post
Tennessee
Tennessee
United States
madison, fl
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting Through Birmingham

I was looking at Cherry Ave but from a different entry point. How easy it was to get to it from Hwy 5 then scoot up Cherry to Corridor X?

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting Through Birmingham

The directions dbh gave you will be the easiest all the way around for you.

madison, fl
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting Through Birmingham

Thanks for your input. I was just viewing the intersection of Cherry Ave. and Corridor X on Google Maps. It is unclear from that map how one exits Cherry to get onto X, can either of you clear this up for me?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting Through Birmingham

We did this going to Memphis- you just turn left off Cherry onto corridor X

Mentioned in this post
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting Through Birmingham

Where Cherry Ave. intersects Corridor X, it is like a regular interstate overpass. You take a left after you cross the bridge, and it is a regualr on ramp.

7. Re: Getting Through Birmingham

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 14, 2010