We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a place to meet a friend

Which Birmingham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Athens, Ga
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need a place to meet a friend

I am flying out of Birmingham with a friend from Kentucky. He will be coming in on Hwy 65 I believe. I will be coming from Atlanta on Hwy 20. My wife will be dropping me off and we were going to meet somewhere and eat before going to the airport. Can someone recommend somewhere that will be easy to get to from both 65 and 20 and then from there to the airport. Thanks!

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a place to meet a friend

If it will be around lunch time, I would recommend Nikki's West. It is a cafeteria style place that is amazing. They are a "meat and three" place with a Greek twist to many of the dishes. If you want more upscale, you could go to Five Points South and try Highlands Bar & Grill, Bottega or Hot & Hot Fish Club. For good BBQ, there is Full Moon or Dreamland for ribs.

All of these would require you to drive past the airport to meet your friend because the airport is on the eastern side of the city right off of I-20. If there is a specific type of food you would liek to look for, let me know and I can give you suggestions for that.

Athens, Ga
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a place to meet a friend

Thank you for the suggestions. What I am looking for is somewhere close to where 65 comes into the city from the north. It will be later afternoon around 2. I just want somewhere to sit and see my wife before she goes and then ride with him to the airport. He is not familiar with the city and that is a big reason for the meet. Thanks again!

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a place to meet a friend

The best option in my opinion would be for you to take 20 to 65 north and meet him in Fultondale at exit 267. Since he has a longer drive than you, that will allow him to stop a little sooner. At that exit, you have everything from fast food (Burger King, Subway, Chic-Fil-A, McDonald's and Arby's) to nicer restaurants (Chili's, O'Charley's, Logan's and Full Moon BBQ). From there, you are about 15-20 minutes to the airport.

Athens, Ga
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a place to meet a friend

Thanks for your help =)

Alabama
Level Contributor
103 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a place to meet a friend

I will second dbh2's suggestion for Exit 267. That is a newly developed area with several food choices, and which is safe and convenient. Tom

Athens, Ga
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a place to meet a friend

Looks like Full Moon is closed on Sat. Any other non chain sit down places at that exit?

Athens, Ga
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a place to meet a friend

What about this place? Faye's Famous Franks

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need a place to meet a friend

Full Moon in Fultondale is open every day. The original location on southside is closed on weekends. That would be your best bet in that area. Faye's is just a hot dog stand in a strip center. Never been there, so I can't tell you if it's good or not. I can guarantee great food at Full Moon.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need a place to meet a friend

Pasquales' pizza is a great pizza and italian place- on Fieldstown rd- not sure how far but it's in Gardendale and my neighbor sdrive 20 minutes to eat there

10. Re: Need a place to meet a friend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 16, 2010