We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fun afternoon

SC
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
fun afternoon

We will be at Samford U. Julu 6-11 for a christian youth meeting. We hace an afternoon off and would like to take our teenagers out for about 4 or 5 hours of dining and fun close by. Does anyone have any suggestions. Need help, never been to the area. There will be 15 of us. Thank you in advance. Oh yeah, of course money is tight.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fun afternoon

Your location gives a lot of options. What do you mean by "fun".

outdoors? shopping? historical?

can you give more info?

in the meantime, look at

www.outdooralabama.com

click on state parks, Oak Mountain. Also look at calendar.

www.bcri.org

Very well done, interesting, accurate.

www.visitvulcan.com

a little history, AND a little outdoors

As for dining, depending on what you choose to do...I always say go with local specialty you cannot get at home. IMO, that would be good BBQ, but you'll get a lot of other info on that.

Miller

Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fun afternoon

For something close, inexpensive and unique to Birmingham, I would also recommend visiting Vulcan Park. It is the largest cast iron statue in the world, and pays homage to the steel industry that built Birmingham. There are great views of the city from the park atop Red Mountain.

For food, I also agree that good, local BBQ would the best option. There are two local places that I just love - Full Moon and Moe's Origianl BBQ (not to be confused with Moe's Southwest Grill). They are both reasonable and delicious.

Let us know if you have more questions or need more info.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
318 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fun afternoon

First, you're going to love the Samford campus. It's beautiful and in a great section of town. Just east of there on Lakeshore (maybe two miles?) is a small mall (Colonial Brookwood Village) with a small food court. There are a good many restaurant options outside the mall. Most are pretty pricey, but there are a couple of sandwich options on that perimeter. That would be a good place to just let the kids buy their own meals. There's a Chick-Fil-A inside the food court. Here's a link: colonialprop.com/property-info/…

As far as an activity, I would suggest a Christian group visit the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute. It's so uplifting and inspiring and the tour of the adjacent Sixteenth Street Baptist Church is especially meaningful. Ask about group rates.

I haven't been to Vulcan in a while, but it's a nice green spot unique to Birmingham. You might have to read up on the history ahead of time to help the kids understand what they're seeing.

Oak Mountain State Park, as stated above, is another inexpensive option with a lot of outdoor activities. There's a wildlife center, a hike to some falls, a sand beach on a lake, paddle boats, etc.

If you want something cool and indoor, the Pelham Civic Center Ice Skating Rink is nearby Oak Mountain. If your kids haven't ice skated, that would be a fun experience. See www.pelhamciviccomplex.com/Default.asp?ID=151 You can get group rates.

If I was making the plans, I'd take them to the BCRI and let them walk around Brookwood and eat afterwards. But you know what's best for your group.

Have fun. Let us know how it went!

SC
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: fun afternoon

Thanks so much for the great ideas. I will report back when I get home. 12 teenagers and 3 chaperons! Pray for us. Just kidding, our kids are great. Thanks again

5. Re: fun afternoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 28, 2009