We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding I-20 race weekend

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Avoiding I-20 race weekend

Heading to ATL(marietta) on race weekend and not sure when we'll be coming back on sunday- anyone know a back way to avoid I-20- maybe Marietta to Rome to Gadsden??

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoiding I-20 race weekend

What's your starting point?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoiding I-20 race weekend

Woodstock near Marietta

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoiding I-20 race weekend

I would stay off of I-20 at all costs that weekend. Going through Rome and Gadsden would be the way I would do it. I love that drive, too. It is so beautiful in that part of the state.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoiding I-20 race weekend

do you have any good directions- do you think leaving B'ham by 11 or 12 Friday we'd be OK ?

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoiding I-20 race weekend

You should not have a traffic problem on Friday. To go through Gadsden-Rome, take I-59 north to Gadsden and exit onto I-759. Take the Hwy 411 North exit. Follow 411 to Centre where you will turn left onto Hwy 68/Hwy 9. When this road splits off in Cedar Bluff, stay on Hwy 9. This will take you all the way to Rome. The Hwy number changes to 20 when you get into Georgia. Follow the signs for 20 all the way through Rome. This will take you all the way to I-75 where you will take it south to get to Marrietta.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoiding I-20 race weekend

thanks- we may go I-20 on Friday and come home this way- it may be longer but I do NOT want to sit in traffic

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoiding I-20 race weekend

You could also drive 278, but I like the 411 route

(Gadsden/Weiss Lake/Rome) better also. Nice drive.

Are you only trying to avoid Talladega or ATL also?

If it is only Talladega, you may want to try US 78. You can pick it up west of Pell City and re-enter at several options past Talladega~ Oxford, Heflin, Bremen, Douglasville)

Have a good trip,

Miller

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoiding I-20 race weekend

I just thougth of another option, but it won't be very popular...

These are 7th graders, right? Since SATs are done, there's really nothing new at school. Book another night in your hotel, let the kids jump in the pool & cool off, go the the battlefields in Kennesaw & call it a Field Trip, and go home Monday!

Good Luck, by the way.

Miller

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoiding I-20 race weekend

they are 8th graders- and some have to be back for a meeting on sunday at 2- i am thinking we'll do the rome/gadsden route- we are going to a baseball tournament-

Alabama
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoiding I-20 race weekend

I wouldn't take US-78, the hwy parallel to I-20 after the race traffic is directed to US-78, and is gridlock from Oxford to Pell City.

The field trip idea is great idea. Most people don't realize that these so called "Field Trips" can be classified as enrichment trips and most administrators will excuse the student without any penalty. Call up and ask them.

Get answers to your questions about Birmingham