We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay near nightlife

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
313 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay near nightlife

Where is the best place or area to stay for being able to walk to nightlife- restaurants, bars, pubs more so than clubs?

Is that Five Points area?

Is there much nightlife near downtown and Redmont Hotel?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay near nightlife

I'm a bit long in the tooth for the bar scene, but here goes (cue pinch of salt).

1. Birmingham is small - so Uber and Lyft are easy and cheap - even from Redmont.

2. 5 Points South still has some bars, but is not the hot spot it once was, Dave's, Upsidedown Plaza and Marty's spring to mind.

3. Avondale, Lakeview and Northside between Morris and 2nd Ave North between 20th and 24 Sts are the more current areas - and all are easily accessible by Uber and Lyft. 2nd Ave N is within walking distance of the Redmont - say 3 blocks. I believe my kids (20's) tend towards Avondale and Lakeview. Obviously there are other places.

Did I say Uber and Lyft are available and cheap? If walking is an absolute must: 2nd Ave N from Redmont or stay in 5 Pts South. I don't think there are any hotels around Avondale or Lakeview.

NOTE there is a 5 Pts West...don't confuse them.

Edited: 9:46 am, September 18, 2017
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay near nightlife

BTW other places not exactly in the locations mentioned above such as Cahaba Brewery, Good People Brewery, Trim Tab Brewery, Hop City, Iron City, Pepper Place has a couple bars, The Derby aka The Brown Derby, Rojo, The Garages, Crestline has several bars, Homewood has several bars, and the great grand pappy of Birmingham clubs - The Nick (grunge central and very late-night by St. Vincent's and the Southtown housing project dating back continuously into the 70's) and others are worth checking.

Edited: 9:58 am, September 18, 2017
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay near nightlife

BTW you also asked about restaurants and I focused on bars.

Highlands Bar and Grill in 5 Pts South is easily the best restaurant in the state. It's bar, and Chez Fonfon's next door are popular along with Bottega for upscale drinking. Nearby are several very good restaurants and some BBQ, pizza, pita etc.

Lakeview has many restaurants as well as bars. Ditto Pepper Place, 2nd Ave N area, Avondale, Crestline and Homewood.

Rojo, Bottega, Cafe Dupont (downtown), Hot and Hot Fish Club, are somewhat varied in price and quality but all are popular.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
313 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay near nightlife

thank you!

5. Re: Where to stay near nightlife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, today
Get answers to your questions about Birmingham