We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I-65 road condition, Birmingham

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
I-65 road condition, Birmingham

What is wrong with the road surface through Birmingham? My husband and I travel a fair amount. There is a very serious problem with the road condition. Does anyone know the cause and what plans are for repair?

Mentioned in this post
6 replies to this topic
Gardendale, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I-65 road condition, Birmingham

I-65 is a heavily traveled road and gets a lot of wear. I'm not sure which section you are speaking of, that might help narrow down what people know about repairs :)

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I-65 road condition, Birmingham

No doubt you mean the washboard sections around downtown. No idea. I do know that for years I-59 and I-20 had large sections of washboard road. My guess has always been either bad specs by ALDOT or bad work by road contractors, or a combination of both. That this is a recurring problem over 30+ years tells me the base problem has never been addressed for whatever reason ...and, NO, it's not a simple matter of heavy traffic.

Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I-65 road condition, Birmingham

There is also a lot of construction going on as they re-build the infamous Malfunction Junction interchange. Those issues should be temporary. There are rougher sections that were done as a way to resist slipping in wet or icy conditions. The material didn't hold up too well and has worn off in most places. That could be leading to some of the issues you saw. I would think that the roads will be much better once all of the construction is completed - and who knows when that may be.

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I-65 road condition, Birmingham

AGREED!! Something is seriously wrong. I'm writing this on my return trip. We had to pull over on northbound I65 ( Birmingham) to take our bicycle off rack!! It shook off!! Wheel almost came off the bike. Can you imagine our horror if it hurt someone?

We live off of I75 in Ohio, heavily heavily traveled. No comparison. Yes, the washboard effect is shaking our world!

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Alabama
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I-65 road condition, Birmingham

I drive that road often and honestly the only place I even notice it is between Hwy 31 in Hoover/Vestavia to the Alford Ave. exit.

Mentioned in this post
Hoover
Hoover
Alabama
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,873 posts
496 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I-65 road condition, Birmingham

We drive the I 20 to I 65 route often as we visit family and friends north of Nashville.

I 20 has finally almost except in Birmingham finished with all the repaving projects. This has been going on for at least 10 years. We joke about the fact that they must be getting paid by the hour to do road projects in AL.

Now I 65 is another matter. The were scraping the old pavement off and starting to repave two very short segments of I 65 last Sat. between Athens and Gardendale. No warning just all of a sudden the road was closed for about 1000 feet.

This caused the biggest traffic jam I have ever seen on I 65 coming south into Birmingham. It took almost 2 hours to drive from the Athens exit to the Gardendale exit on I 65.

We hate going up I 75 and I 24 because of traffic but this was awful on I 65. It is usually a breeze and it was driving up on last Wed.

Mentioned in this post
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Athens
Athens
Georgia
Reply to: I-65 road condition, Birmingham
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Birmingham