We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Redmond Hotel, Downtown

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
332 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Redmond Hotel, Downtown

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has stayed here. Would love opinions on the hotel and neighborhood.

Thanks!

Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,954 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Redmond Hotel, Downtown

The Redmont Hotel is an historic hotel in the downtown business/financial district. It is a beautiful building. Haven't stayed there, but I am sure the hotel is very nice as it was recently renovated. The area will be desolate late at night when you arrive since it is a business area, so it would be just a place to sleep that night.

I don't see on their website that they have an airport shuttle. If you are going to take a taxi/uber, then the hotel would be OK. If you are renting a car at the airport on arrival, I would recommend taking the I-459 bypass around Birmingham and staying somewhere at the intersection with Hwy 280. Several options there from full service Marriott and Hilton to chains like Drury Inn, Springhill Suites, and others. Also good dining and shopping options for the next day before heading to Tuscaloosa. That will also keep you from having to drive through downtown and deal with interstate construction.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Redmond Hotel, Downtown

I-459 is way out of your way from the Airport. Downtown is fine. If you like generic suburbia and extra driving to get there, 459/280 is the ticket. Otherwise almost anywhere will do for a night.

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
332 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Redmond Hotel, Downtown

What do you think of this:

I was thinking my daughter and I could take a taxi from the airport to the Redmond. Spend the night. Have a nice breakfast at the hotel, pick up a rental car right down the street from the hotel (it says there is one .2 miles away). Perhaps go see the 16th Street Baptist Church and Civil Rights Institute before heading to Tuscaloosa.

It looks like we could walk to the 16th Street Church from the Redmond. Do you think this is a safe walk for two females during the day? I wish I knew the area better, but as a mom, my goal is to keep my daughter safe no matter we go while making sure we can take in as much history and culture as we can!

Thanks!

Edited: 5:40 pm, August 24, 2017
Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,954 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Redmond Hotel, Downtown

That would work well. There is an Enterprise location 2 blocks from the hotel. It is only about 6 blocks to walk from the hotel to the church and civil rights institute. It would be safe to walk the area during the day - especially if this will be a weekday as there will be lots of people around because of the office buildings downtown. On a weekend day, it will still be OK, but there won't be as many people about. If you are there on a weekday, stop at Edgar's Bakery that is close to the hotel for a special treat to take with you to Tuscaloosa. It is a fabulous bakery with lots of tasty treats. They are closed on the weekends.

5. Re: Redmond Hotel, Downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 26, 2018
Get answers to your questions about Birmingham