We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taiyuan to Luoyang and onto Xi'an

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Taiyuan to Luoyang and onto Xi'an

I have the following plan:

Take the K237 overnight train from Taiyuan to Luoyang, arrive next day in Luoyang at 11:40am or so, check in to my hotel.

In the afternoon (starting 1:30ish) visit the Longmen Grottoes and return that night to Luoyang (heard the grottoes are open till 7:50pm and the last bus back to the city is 8:50pm so should have plenty of time).

Next day check out of hotel early morning 7am or so and head to Dengfeng to check out the Shaolin temple complex. Spend about 4 hrs or so at the site and then return to Luoyang (2.5 hrs) to catch the evening bullet train to Xi'an.

Questions - what do you think of the above itinerary? Is it relatively easy to get from Luoyang to Dengfeng and onto Shaolin and then back by public transport? do you think I can get back in time to catch the train onward to Xi'an?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taiyuan to Luoyang and onto Xi'an

You have plenty of time Longmen is 3o minutes drive from Luoyang, and Shaolin Temple 1.5 hours by bus.. Of course you can complete the trip easily.

switzerland
Level Contributor
96 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taiyuan to Luoyang and onto Xi'an

I give you another train option in case you get tired of K trains. I did Beijing- Pingyao on a K train and was very uncomfortable for me. So i found this option for Taiyuan- Luoyang.

Taiyuan- Zhengzhou on a D train (5 hours) and Zhengzhou- LuoyangLongmen (45min) on a G train. High speed trains are more expensive but you can buy a second class seat that is better than a soft sleeper on K trains. Changing trains at Zhengzhou was very easy.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taiyuan to Luoyang and onto Xi'an

Its not easy to find the right legit bus to Shaoin, take risk bus choice trouble may possiblelly ruin your whole plan. Better to hire a car for the local things.

Another option if you dont mind flying as Luoyang offers less train possibility to your next station:

Taiyuan-Xian (much more train opportunities than to Luoyang)- Luoyang - fly (less abaility to medium -small cities, but no problem to big cities)next Station of your China travel.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taiyuan to Luoyang and onto Xi'an

thanks, I need to arrive in Luoyang in the morning so the overnight train makes more sense to me :)

I am leaving Pingyao in the evening so will get to Taiyuan late, around 7pm or so... Looks like the D train leaves Taiyuan in the afternoon and arrives in Zhengzhou evening which would not work for me.

Edited: 2:30 pm, August 30, 2012
5. Re: Taiyuan to Luoyang and onto Xi'an

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:34 am, September 19, 2012
6. Re: Taiyuan to Luoyang and onto Xi'an

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 04, 2013