We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guilin from Yangshuo as a day trip or stay over

Hants
Level Contributor
44 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Guilin from Yangshuo as a day trip or stay over

I am planninng my trip to China for the end of October and as usual we do not have enough days.

The plan is arrive at Guilin airport at 19.20 then go to Yangshuo for 3 days, would it be best to leave Yangshuo on the 4th day and stay over at Guilin before an a.m flight or just do a day trip by bus and stay at Yangshuo. or just miss Guilin altogether

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,385 posts
822 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guilin from Yangshuo as a day trip or stay over

You would not miss much by skipping Guilin.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guilin from Yangshuo as a day trip or stay over

There's nothig to see in Guilin, it's just a big city so I would stay in Yangshou.

YANGSHUO
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Guilin from Yangshuo as a day trip or stay over

If you will do the whole tour of Liriver cruise,you 'd better stay in Guilin on the first night,and spend all the rest time in Yangshuo or Longji rice terraces mountain.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,385 posts
822 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guilin from Yangshuo as a day trip or stay over

No need to do the 'cruise' either.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,916 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guilin from Yangshuo as a day trip or stay over

Head direct to airport from Yangshuo on the 4th day by car through express highway, it takes just 1 hr.

Li river is local highlight, never miss it. You could go to Xingping from Yangshuo to do a rafting on it.

Edited: 9:10 am, February 29, 2012
Hants
Level Contributor
44 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guilin from Yangshuo as a day trip or stay over

Many thanks, i have decided to stay in Yangshuo as the rice terrace will have been harvested by then and although i think it would have been spectacular arriving in Yangshuo by boat i have taken the advise of TA and going for the one destination as we are already on a whirl wind tour which TA would not approve. lol.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,516 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guilin from Yangshuo as a day trip or stay over

You are 2funny Milly. Even after the harvest, rice terraces are still a wonder to look at, just not as stunning as the professional photos you see. We had a great hike there up the hillside, ate some bamboo rice which was excellent, and took in the tea house at the top. While it was very touristy, it also was unique, and the food and tea were excellent. I recommend the day trip in dry temperate weather. Lots of outdoor walking. You can take this trip from Yangshuo or Guilin.

I would not characterize Guilin as "nothing to see," just that your time will be far more pleasant and interesting in Yangshuo. For more info on Yangshuo, see www.yangers.com

Jefferson City...
Level Contributor
251 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guilin from Yangshuo as a day trip or stay over

Approximately what time of year do they harvest the rice?

Yangshuo County...
Level Contributor
278 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Guilin from Yangshuo as a day trip or stay over

The end of July and begining of August in yangshuo area,the end of September and begining of October in longji terrace.hope this helps

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
299 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Guilin from Yangshuo as a day trip or stay over

You can do a cruise from Guilin to Yangshuo.

There is also some nice trips to do departing from Guilin like a day-tour in Longsheng to see the terraced rice fields.

Else, that's true. Guilin is a big city. Yangshuo is much more attractive (even if there are of course much more tourists!).

Don't miss Yangshuo market: a quite interesting place...