We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scenery

Which Yangshuo County hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
scenery

For scenery and cormorant fishing, is Yangshuo considered better than Guilin? My husband was in Guilin 30 years ago. Ever since then, I have wanted to go there. As I read these forum postings, it sounds as if Yangshuo is better. What makes it rate better. Thanks. Marlyne

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: scenery

OK. Sounds great. Thanks again. Marlyne

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: scenery

Also did the Yangdi to XingPing raft which gives the more picturesque part of the Li River. The Li River cruise scenery is grander but also more like a leisure amusement ride with the 'wind in your face' feel though the raft do make rest stops along the way for phototaking. The Nine Horse Mural Hill is the epitome sight for this stretch. The Yu Long River has the charm of a slow 'walk in the park serenity. You can start the Li River raft much earlier (as early as 5+am), as most boatmen there are unlicensed, unlike the YuLong river raft which is regulated by a single company.

I was there last week. The steps leading up to LaoZhai Hill (it's also a cemetery hill) at XingPing is in really bad condition especially nearing to the top and may require to go down on all fours at some places. Had to turn back as I was climbing solo and there weren't anyone else around. There is a signboard at the hill bottom written in Chinese dated 2008 that the route to the top is actually closed and advising not to climb due to falling rocks. I don't think those steps have been maintained since. Nonetheless, there is a small pavillion just a few steps from this signboard that offers a panaromic view of the Li River.

Edited: 8:46 pm, June 04, 2011
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,273 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: scenery

You do not need to go on the Li river for the scenery, it is everywhere around Yangshuo. Just rent a bike and ride around.

I guess it is a matter of taste bit i find the bamboo rafts (real bamboo rafts) pushed on quiet watet by a long bamboo stick by the owner, much more pleasant than the pvc pipes rafts with a noisy motor on the rocky waters of the Li river. Yes there are people trying to sell you stuff on the Yulong (they can't do it on the Li river as you are going too fast)but they are not pushy.

Actually i find touts in general in Yangshuo rather annoying. I have been there 6 times amd the place gets much more commercial each time. There is even a McDonald now.

You can't have a quiet drink sitting outside without having someone insisting on selling you something every 5 monites, quite annoying. If you take the phoyo of a water buffalo along the road, odds are the farmer will chase you for money. Even one time my daughter took a photi of a friend. A local who happened to be in the background by accident asked her for money.

In a way I can't blame the locals. The number of hotel room addtions in the last few years is huge; add this to the new highway from Guangzhou and they must be getting tired of all these tourists photographing their every moves.

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: scenery

Thanks for the great information. Marlyne

15. Re: scenery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, June 25, 2012