We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bamboo Rafing - Risk of getting wet?

Which Yangshuo County hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Topic
Bamboo Rafing - Risk of getting wet?

Hello,

is the bamboo rafting risky? We have quite a bit of camera gear we would like to take with us but of course that mustn't get wet in any way!

Thanks.

Anke

Guangzhou, China
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bamboo Rafing - Risk of getting wet?

i remember my sister and i got our own raft.We were getting into a water fight,wet from hair to skirt.It was fun.But i think you can always ask the local who drives the raft to stay away from these fights,and play it safe.

Hope this helps.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,273 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bamboo Rafing - Risk of getting wet?

The water is still and the rafts are going very slow. Only need to raise your feet once in a while.

I assume that you are talking about the bamboo rafts on the Yulong river and not the plastic pipe rafts with motors on the Lijiang.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bamboo Rafing - Risk of getting wet?

Thanks for the replies. That helps a lot.

Yes, I'm talking about bamboo rafting. Isn't there bambo rafting on Li River?

australia
Level Contributor
800 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bamboo Rafing - Risk of getting wet?

H Ankaa

Just be aware that when the Chinese tourists see westerners on the river they wrongly assume you want to be part of the water fun as well. Suggest you take waterproofing for your gear as insurance

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bamboo Rafing - Risk of getting wet?

you will be okay as long as you do not take too much gear.

There is always a chance of getting your feet wet but the drivers are very careful and safety wise..

The previous TAer mentioned plastic well he did ot read your enquiry properly as you did mentin bamboo in the first place.

Just take care and you will be okay

Kind regards

Albon

happy surfing!

Changsha

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,475 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bamboo Rafing - Risk of getting wet?

The most famous bamboo rafting is on the shallow and almost perfectly clear Yu Long River. There is virtually no danger of tipping over or getting really wet unless that is your intention.

That said, I would not take all my gear, and I would still carry a good quality lined zippered bag to hold most of the gear when not in use. The bamboo raft is two inches above the water level, and you virtually must take off your shoes and socks. The bag can be on a seat or shoulder. Since the Yu Long is maybe five to seven meters wide (more or less) and up to 1/2 meter deep, there are only man-made ripples on the water. There are small bumps of sorts when you float over underwater dams intended to keep the water at navigable levels.

The Li River is wide, murky and at times several meters deep. You will get modest waves or swells on it, especially if rafting near the cruise boats. I have bamboo rafted on the Li River and would take only what I could comfortably carry in a shoulder bag, maybe the camera and some extra batteries. Even then, I would be careful.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,273 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bamboo Rafing - Risk of getting wet?

The rafts on the Li river are generally referred to as bamboo rafts although they are made out of white PVC pipes and look like bamboo rafts.

I did read properly but since most people posting here refer to it as "bamboo" rafting I wanted to clear that up. These are better avoided in my opinion.

Been there 6 times and never saw water fights referred to above. So I would not worry about getting wet but do not leave anything on the floor of the rafts at it gets covered with water several times throughout the journey.

singapore
Level Contributor
342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bamboo Rafing - Risk of getting wet?

Hie

Is this bamboo rafting safe, if we're having a child with us ?

Thank you.

Yangshuo County...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bamboo Rafing - Risk of getting wet?

They are perfectly safe and stable. Li river rafts have roof and railing. They generally bigger and come with motor.

Yu Long rafts (bamboo) opened, but with umbrella, if needed.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,273 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bamboo Rafing - Risk of getting wet?

Check the photos for bamboo rafting on the Yulong river here (near button of the page): www.yangers.com/Yangshuo_Bamboo_Rafting.php

Then you decide if this is appropriate for your child.

On the Li river it is somewhat less stable and boats have motors.