We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best time for shooting in Rice Terraces

Berlin
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
best time for shooting in Rice Terraces

Hi! I plan to go to Longsheng/Yangshuo in may 2010. I'd love to take some shots of the rice terraces filled with water (Dazhai). Do you know when the terraces get flooded? and when the planting time starts? I wanted to be in Dazhai on 20th of May if it's the right time... Or 2 weeks later if it would be better...

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,017 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best time for shooting in Rice Terraces

It is a good time. The planting takes place in late April and early May.

Guilin
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best time for shooting in Rice Terraces

Actually the irrigation time of the terrace field would be early May, farmers will plough the field after irrigate the field, then about two to three days later they will transplant the rice shoots and the scenery at the moment would fit your requirement.

China Private Travel

Berlin
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: best time for shooting in Rice Terraces

oh! really?

I thought they start to plant the rice about beginning of June... Now I'm lost :( Thank you for your replies!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,017 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best time for shooting in Rice Terraces

Definitely. I was in Yangshuo late April this year and planting was well under way. Mind you, the Chinese work under the lunar calendar and this year Chinese New Year - spring festival - will be over 2 weeks later than this year. Not sure what this means for planting.

Berlin
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: best time for shooting in Rice Terraces

ok....

Just to be sure... You mean the terraces close to Dazhai and Pingan? Not the rice fields in Yangshuo? I just thought Yangshuo ist not so high in the mountains, so maybe there it starts earlier... :)

Anyway.. if it will be like this year or even 2 weeks later it's perfect for me :)) Thx!

Berlin
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: best time for shooting in Rice Terraces

I'm sorry, I still don't get it.

I got an email from someone from Pingan area. She says the terraces are full with water from 25th of May till 6th of June, and after that they start to plant the rice. Hm... What do you think? Has anyone been there in this time? I start to be a rice-scientist :)

Yangshuo Guilin...
Level Contributor
510 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: best time for shooting in Rice Terraces

The end of May and early June filled with water, they plant the rice at early June, usually starts at June 3rd.

guilin private tours

Yangshuo
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: best time for shooting in Rice Terraces

I was in Dazai with four french tourists on May 3rd 2009,and I find most of the rice fields still dry,only a few of rice fields flooded,If you expect the best shots of the rice terrace,I highly recommend you can go there during on May 26th and on June 6th next year.Good luck to you!

Oosterhout, The...
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best time for shooting in Rice Terraces

I was there last year in the middle of june. The terrace looked as follows:

…google.nl/lh/photo/xWlwK4Fl7NIvJ3TLzvTnLg…

Yangshuo Guilin...
Level Contributor
510 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: best time for shooting in Rice Terraces

they plant rice in Longji Rice Terraces( Pingan rice terraces and Dazhai Rice Terraces) at the beginning of June. they plant rape at Pingan rice terraces, so the rape flower will be very beautiful in March.