We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help: need suggestions for itenerary

Which Yangshuo County hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
13 posts
Save Topic
Help: need suggestions for itenerary

Hello all,

I'm planning a 6 day stay in Guangxi Province and i'm looking for any suggestions on how i might set up my itenerary - should i stay the 6 days in one city and then take trips around, should i divide my time up in different cities?

from what i've read Guilin, Longshen, Yangshuo and Sanjiang all seem to have interesting things to offer.

would it be possible to cover all these places in 6 days or would it be overkill.

I'm going with my girlfriend so we want to enjoy as much as possible but also take some time to relax.

Also does anyone have some ideas about some interesting adventures to do? i've read about the hot-air balloon ride, the li river cruise... what do you consider to be most worthwhile.

I really appreciate any insight anyone might offer.

thanks in advance

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help: need suggestions for itenerary

Yes it is possible. Distances are quite long, so I think better to stay in each place.

For Chengyang Bridge, I'd stay a night or two. if the weather is good, then it is very relaxing with few tourists. There are nearby villages that you can walk or cycle to.

For Longsheng, a night on the rice terraces is a highlight. You will find that less tour groups go to Dazhi and you can stay half way up the hill in Tiantouzhai Village. At the Jin Tian Hotel English is spoken.

Guilin is maybe worth a day. It's quite a nice city now - I stayed at the Lakeside Inn. However, with your limited time you might want to go straight to Yangshuo.

The problem with Yangshuo is that it attracts a lot of tourists - both western and Chinese. This is both good and bad. The good is that there is now an established tourist infrastructure. The bad are the touts, the crowds, and some crime.

All the places can be visited using public buses.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help: need suggestions for itenerary

Agree with Drumbrake.

While the scenery in Yangshuo is wonderful it is much better to get out & visit outlying towns.

Bike riding is great for seeing all the farm land & small villages.

Instead of the Li River cruise between Guilin & Yangshuo wait till you get to Yangshuo. From there go to Xingping or Yangdi & do a section of the cruise from there.

For the towns in the area time your visits for market day as they are very interesting to wander around. Yangdi & Baisha have market days on days ending with 1, 4, 7 (ie; 1, 11, 21, 4, 14, 24 etc). Fuli, Putao & Gotian ending in 2,5,8. Yangshuo & Xingping ending in 3, 6, 9. There are never any markets on the 10th, 20th, 30th or 31st.

Boston
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help: need suggestions for itenerary

Thanks for the advice, i'm still a bit confused about the logistics of it all.

I've been searching online and have found that the Mountain Retreat hotel sounds absolutely wonderful, if i stayed there for 3 or 4 days could i then visit all these other places that you are advising me to go?

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help: need suggestions for itenerary

The Mountain Retreat is lovely and fine for visiting places in and around Yangshuo.

To get to Longsheng is around 3 hours drive, and then another 2 hours to get to Chengyang (Sanjiang).

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help: need suggestions for itenerary

When you arrive in Guilin head to the Longshen area and stay 1 - 2 nights.

Then go to Yangshuo and do day trips to the outlying villages.

Basically there is Yangshuo & the rice terraces (Longshen) with Guilin in the middle.

san francisco
Level Contributor
503 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help: need suggestions for itenerary

We were just in Yangshuo for 3 days in mid-July, and it's every bit as beautiful as you imagine! I agree with the suggestion to get outside the town itself. We actually stayed in Moon Hill, at a place that's more of a youth hostel (Moon Resort) and took the bus into town when we needed to. We didn't spend much time there, though, b/c it's so touristy. Some of the activities we loved were biking (you can really get away from the whole tourist scene...hire a guide if you want, or just go exploring if you don't mind not knowing exactly where you are!) The bamboo boat rides are also incredibly fun, and were a great way to cool off on a hot afternoon. We did a shortened cruise on the Li River (YangPing to Yangshuo) - beautiful, but not nearly as fun as rafting or biking. One of our favorite activities was a cooking class, if you're into that. I think there are a couple of them - we did the Yangshuo Cooking School 1/2 day class.

7. Re: Help: need suggestions for itenerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:53 am, August 26, 2009
8. Re: Help: need suggestions for itenerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:53 am, August 26, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help: need suggestions for itenerary

We were in Yangshuo last week and stayed at the Moon Resort mentioned on a previous post. It is more a small hotel than a youth hostel. We thoroughly enjoyed our three days here and would recommend it for anyone wanting something different. Read the reviews on Trip Advisor, they give a pretty accurate description.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
164 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help: need suggestions for itenerary

Hi drumebrake,

We will be staying in Longsheng one night on Wednesday Sept 16 and are interested in stayin gin the Jin Tian hotel you spoke of, but can't get in touch. I'll try calling again today. I was hoping you could help with transport logistics:

I would like to hike from Dazhai to Ping An during our full day there. This same day, we must be at Guilin airport at 845pm. Do you think the hotel/anybody could take our bags from Dazhai and meet us in Ping An around 5-6pm in order to leave direct to Guilin?

Also, is public transportation reliable enough to get back to Guilin? Or would it be a wise investment just to take a taxi?

Thanks very much.