We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yangshuo: Learning Mandarin and Teaching English?

Which Yangshuo County hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Yangshuo: Learning Mandarin and Teaching English?

I will be in Yangshuo for 4 weeks: May 21st to June 18th.

Purpose of trip is further study of Tai Chi at Master Fu's school - just outside the town.

Query:

In the evenings, where can I go to learn basic Mandarin?.......and equally........where can I go to help students with free English lessons (over a coffee etc)?

Thanks in anticipation.

Bucklt

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
386 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yangshuo: Learning Mandarin and Teaching English?

I know from reading a blog that someone is running a volunteer English teaching program at some of the rural schools in the region. The resort called Mountain Resort outside Yangshuo on the Dragon River has a manager who made a substantial donation to the program. They might be able to suggest where you could help with English.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,840 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yangshuo: Learning Mandarin and Teaching English?

There is a high concentration of english schools in Yangshuo (actually my daughter was teaching there last fall)and the reason why chinese from all over China go there is because there are many english speaking tourists that they can practice with. you will find them easily as they have "english corners" and will even sollicit you from the street to join.

Learning mandarin will be a challenge. Everybody will want to speak english with you to practice and have no interest to speak mandarin to you....... All my daughter learned in mandarin was numbers and the word for beer, essentially the survival words for a young person spending evenings in bars in Yangshuo.

Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yangshuo: Learning Mandarin and Teaching English?

Thanks for both of those comments.

Clearly:

Teaching English won't be a problem!

Now, all I need to do is to find a Mandarin class for beginners?

Bucklt

4. Re: Yangshuo: Learning Mandarin and Teaching English?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, September 28, 2009