We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from Beijing to Guilin (to Yangshuo)

Green Twp, NJ
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
travel from Beijing to Guilin (to Yangshuo)

Hi,

I want to thank all posters in this forum for helping us make our travel plans to visit Yangshuo and get very excited about doing so!

I have one question: we need to fly from Beijing to Guilin and I'm wondering if we actually need to make in-country air reservations in advance (we've taken care of our travel from the US to Beijing).

Frommers suggests that one need not make domestic reservations in advance and that one will save a good deal of money by getting flights directly from the airline agents themselves. What do folks here think about that?

We are going to be arriving in Beijing on a Sunday afternoon, expect to crash on arrival, and then leave for Guilin on Monday morning so we can maximize our time in Yangshuo before we return to Beijing on Friday to meet the rest of our group.

Any thoughts on how we could save money on the Beijing <-> Guilin airfare would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

Yangshuo Guilin...
Level Contributor
510 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from Beijing to Guilin (to Yangshuo)

you can visit www.ctrip.com or elong.com

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from Beijing to Guilin (to Yangshuo)

Just back from over there Jim. Guilin to Shanghai flight was nearly full. Hong Kong to Guilin was about 30% full. Beijing to Hong Kong was full, as was Shanghai to Beijing.

Think I would prefer the security & peace of mind of a reservation. Yangshuo is 90 minutes by road from Guilin, so you need to arrange a car transfer for that. Your hotel will offer to pick you up, for a price. If arriving at night it is the only way to do it.

Guangzhou China
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from Beijing to Guilin (to Yangshuo)

Joizey_Jim,

I can recommend Lilly Lu as a personal guide for you she can customize tours for you arrange an airport transfer for you from Guilin to Yangshuo from $RMB200 for up to 3 people, book accommodation for you, and generally make your time in Yangshuo a memorable experience. Her email address is lulilly12@hotmail.com and her mobile phone number is1355 766 8442.

Lucky Aussie

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
62 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from Beijing to Guilin (to Yangshuo)

This may be really late, but just thought I would add something about the flight from Guilin to Beijing. Flying both in and out of Guilin we had long flight delays. There are often delays on these flights and not much other choice if there is a delay. We had a 5 hour layover which seemed sufficient, before our flight home from Beijing and missed that flight due to the delay out of Guilin. Make sure that you plan accordingly because this happens often in China from the smaller cities.

That said, Guilan, Yanghua, and Longsheng Terrace are incredible. Have a great trip!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel from Beijing to Guilin (to Yangshuo)

thank you so much for that tip on the delays.

I am looking at flying the same route, so it's not too late for me.

I'm now thinking along the lines of paying the extra to fly Dragonair from Beijing and go through Hong Kong and on to Guilin, then fly home out of Hong Kong.

Does anyone have experience with whether DragonAir misses its connections? (The trip out of Beijing would be listed as Cathay Pacific but codeshared and flown by DragonAir.)

The train ride from Beijing to Guilin seems awfully long even though it would save money, and I am not wildly excited (translation: fearful, because I'm a nervous flyer) about flying China Southwestern.

would love some advice on this

(don't be nervous is probably not going to work though), having read the airline reviews on Skytrax)

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,383 posts
821 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel from Beijing to Guilin (to Yangshuo)

My daughter recently flew from Guilin to Shenzhen (to transfer to HK) via Dragon Air and they canceled the flight.

Generally I found other airlines reliable. A flight from Beijing is too cheap to take a train. Just check your options on www.ctrip.com. Buy your tickets after you arrive in China. While flights there are generally full, you can get tickets the day before without problems.

Have the hotel in Yangshuo send a taxi pick you up at the airport, it will be much cheaper.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
62 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel from Beijing to Guilin (to Yangshuo)

Don't think paying extra and going through Hong Kong will necessarily take care of a potential problem, so not sure it is worth the extra money. And hopefully you won't have any problem. Just that we flew a lot in China and had three long delays, so wanted to warn you that it happens. We were there in July/August don't know when you are going. When we missed our Beijing flight home on August 5 and asked when the next flight was that we could get on, they said they had nothing that month! Just don't cut your layovers short....

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel from Beijing to Guilin (to Yangshuo)

thanks for the warning about the delays and layovers, and canceled flights.

I'm going in October.

My interest in DragonAir has nothing to do with reliability of schedule, just is better rated for maintenance standards and pilot training ... that's just my preference, I hate flying anyway.

I will have a connection in Hong Kong for my international flight home ... hmm, maybe I should play it safe and fly home the next day so I don't have to stress if the plane isn't on schedule.

Green Twp, NJ
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel from Beijing to Guilin (to Yangshuo)

Thank you, everyone! I am noticing that the two websites referred to in this mail give better rates on reservations where the travel date is closer to the date of making the reservation. Our travel is in APril, and I noticed that I am now getting up to 30 pct discounts on airfares, so hopefully 2 more weeks and all will be set.

Green Twp, NJ
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel from Beijing to Guilin (to Yangshuo)

I would like to update everyone that, interestingly, CITS (www.cits.net) wound up being the most convenient website for people like me to get airline tickets in advance.

ctrip.com and elong.net rates wound up never being that different from what cits was offering me. Perhaps if we'd gambled and waited until we arrived in Beijing we probably could have done better (50% and 20% discounts respctively on airfare to/from Guilin), but I observed that attempting to get flights for the same week days every week up to my departure, prices were as bad or worse, so I decided to just go ahead.

What was particularly maddening about Ctrip was that they seemed to indicate that buyers like me from overseas could buy etickets and pay by credit card, but the website simply does not permit this. Their online help clarfied that yes, that can only be done over the phone. Meanwhile, CITS was very happy to accept PayPal.