We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Topic
Please help me!

Hi, I'll be landing at guilin airport on Sep. 3 afternoon. I'll have the rest of the day, 4, 5 and 6 September to visit the area. What itinerary would you suggest me?

thanks!!

Yangshuo Guilin...
Level Contributor
510 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me!

Day 1, Guilin city tour, including Elephant Hill, Yao Mountain( by cable car to the top to see the panoramic view of city and surrounding), Reed Flute Cave. Stay in Guilin

Day 2, Li River Cruise. Stay in Yangshuo.

Day 3, Yangshuo Country tour, Moon Hill, do bamboo boat rafting in Yulong River.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me!

You got the best advice already. Only thing you missed are the Longshen rice terraces. Long ride from Guilin and/or Yangshuo.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help me!

Look on http://www.yangers.com for good information about sights and activities in that area.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
122 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me!

just did a quick report under china forums about my trip- 16 days china-yangshou

might find it helpful

Guilin is very much just a city and for us Elephant trunk hill a big disappointment. stayed in Yangshou the whole time and actually after touring Guilin for a day when we left glad we did.

I do think Guilin being more of the tour group place though is probably easier to manuver upon day of arrival, we had a long drive to Yangshou the day we arrived late.

Guilin 30-40 minutes from airport

Yangshou 1hr20- 1-40 depending on traffic

enjoy your time there it is truly beautiful.

we took a private van to take a private boat from Yangdi to Xingping truly amazing and the driver stopped along the countryside road so we could take pictures-stunning beauty

guilin
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help me!

acturally speaking,elephant hill is not just a hill for guilin people , it is the sign of guilin city . the elephant was come from a old beautiful story which bless the people live a happiness life .

Guangzhou China
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help me!

mjjking,

Here is a typical 4 day itinenary for Yangshou but there are many more things to do in the area. I can send you a slide show on the Longsheng Rice Terraces if you want but I cannot do it via this forum please contact me on pwintle00@hotmail.com if you want me to send it to you

Day 1. Bike to Dragon River Bridge along the Yulong River and if the weather is warm stop for a swim or lunch on the banks of the river. The Dragon River Bridge is on of the oldest (500 years) and largest free standing stone arch bridges in China and it is worth seeing if only from the perspective of how did they do that. The near bye town of Baisha does not have much to interest a tourist but as an energy saving alternative to the river bank ride catch a local bus to Baisha hire bikes there and bike to the bridge have a swim and find a popular restaurant for lunch. That evening go to the San Lujie light and sound show which features a cast of more than 500 and is a bigger than big spectacular to say the least. Take a camera because the backdrop of Kaast hills under strong light makes for some wonderful and unique shots during the show. I believe that this show will give you a preview of the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics because the man behind it has been commissioned to direct this.

Day 2. Take a local bus to Xing Ping if you are there with a date ending with 3, 6 or 9 visit the local markets for see how the country people trade goods for money (By the way most goods are cheaper to purchase in the village markets than you will find in Yangshuo) take a hour boat cruise to 9 horses mountain then hike to Yangdi along the Li River. This stretch of river is regarded as the most scenic on the Li River and if you are hiking you can set your own pace stop to take photos when you see something of interest swim or splash during the river crossings. Night time watch the cormorant fishing display by the locals before dinner on West St.

Day3 Take a bus or hire a private car travel to Langsheng then onto the Dragons Backbone rice terraces. The advantage of the private car is that you will be able to stop at any of the minority villages that interest you where as a bus will only stop at the scheduled stops. You should do a comparison but I believe with 3 or 4 passengers a car will not be much more expensive than 4 bus tickets and it will be a lot more convenient. The car or bus will take you to the gate to the Dong village of Ping an where you will start the 20 minute walk up to the beginning of the rice terraces and a small restaurant where you can purchase meals or drinks before setting out on the real climb up to the terraces.

Day4 Bike ride to Moon Hill with stopovers at any of the several sites one of the best being the Dragon cave you pass on the way climb Moon Hill for a look at on of the best elevated viewing platforms in the area a light snack when you come down. If you are like me by this time you will be wondering how the water ladies (some seem well over 60) who try to sell you drinks can walk up and down with a pack of assorted drinks 2 or 3 times a day. Bike to the Yulong River for a raft ride then bike back to Yangshuo for departure.

Now there are many other things that you can see and do around Yangshuo but this represents a good 4 day itinerary however having said that I think you will need a guide to complete this itinerary because if you become lost and remember that the country people do not speak much English if any and your schedule will go out the window.

LA
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help me!

I would probably just go straight to Yangshuo if you only have 3 days. I think the scenery is better and there is much more to do.

I hired a guide recommended on here named Lilly Lu and she was fantastic. She was better than any of the other chinese guides I hired through an international travel agency.

We arranged for a personal driver to take us around the countryside. Many people bike but the extreme humidity can be very dangerous during midday. I had a motor boat take us around the Li River to a few villages. Bamboo rafting was also very easy to arrange. On weekends certain areas can be very crowded on the river. There are several areas you can go rafting and our guide arranged a place where there were less crowds. Hiring a good guide can make a big difference and save you a lot of headache.

If you are not scared of heights I would strongly recommend going up in the hot air balloons. It was a very unique experience that you will only find in yangshuo. It was the highlight of my trip.

There is a lot of good food in yangshuo with a lot of variety. It was by far my favorite place to visit in China.

8. Re: Please help me!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, September 06, 2009