We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yangshuo Itinerary Help

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
243 posts
15 reviews
Yangshuo Itinerary Help

I'll be in Yangshuo in mid-October and would just like a little help dialing in my itinerary. I had no idea there was so much to do/see in the surrounding area, I wish I could stay a whole week. I have 3.5 days though so I want to make the most of it.

We arrive via river boat from Guilin and I believe we arrive around 2-3pm so I was thinking (if possible) that we could do the ten-mile galley bike ride when we arrive and then see the light show in the evening (perhaps our hotel can just book us tickets? not sure if it's necessary to reserve ahead of time).

The next day I'd like to see the sunrise at Xianggong Hill - hopefully again our hotel can arrange transportation, and then come back to hotel and bicycle to Jiuxian Village and continue to Dragon (Yulong) bridge. Later in the evening catch the sunset from Lotus Peak.

Day two - would like to do a boat ride on the river. This is where I need a little help. Would love to do the bamboo raft and see Xingping and the nearby fishing village, but I also just want to take whatever the most enjoyable ride is. What route is best?

Day three - this day is pretty open. Any reccomendations out of these?

Traditional Chinese Massage

Cooking Class

Tea Plantation visit

Silver Cave

Rice Terracces tour/visit

Thank you as always!!

6 replies to this topic
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
243 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Yangshuo Itinerary Help

Bumping this

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Yangshuo Itinerary Help

Hi Ashley,

I backpack to China for 1 month and Yangshuo is one of my fave place! :)

For Ten Mile Gallery, you can easily rent a bike (around RMB50/day) and ride to explore Ten Mile Gallery and other tourist places around that whole stretch of road. You can easily use gps and find your way, passing by some local villages, paddy field and old mansions. It's a nice ride along the way, and helmet is basically not needed there.

The evening light show I suppose you are referring to Impression Sanjie Liu, tickets can be purchased from your guesthouse/hotel. Price should be around RMB200pp.

Yulong River Rafting is a must do, as the mountains that you see through the trip is different from anywhere around the world. Its slim and tall, and it's also the place where RMB20 was printed with. You can get your hotel/guesthouse to arrange the tour for you. The bus typically pick you up at your hotel, transfer you to the nearby place where you will board another smaller vehicle to go to the 'pier' for the river rafting. Unfortunately, the supposedly 'bamboo' rafting now are all plastic tubes made to look like bamboo. They will pack 4pax into one raft, so choose wisely who you will be boarding the raft with as you would not want to be stuck at the raft with people who are noisy/smokes. Also, sit at the two front seats (else your view will be blocked by the two pax sitting in front). The tour would cost ard RMB180 for two pax.

Another activity that I would recommend is to go for the water rafting. It is fun and cheaper than doing it in Thailand. This could be arranged with your hotel/guesthouse as well. As this is a ad-hoc activity i did when I was there, I could not recall how much it is but rest assured it is not expensive and it's totally worth it. The bus ride is good, the life jacket is new, the water current is good so it's pretty adventurous. Two pax per raft, and it's very safe. They have lockers for you to keep your belongings (and they would advise not to bring handphone with you during the rafting as you will be full wet). You can leave it in the locker, it's safe. They take good pictures throughout the rafting so you can buy the pictures at a very good rate at the end of the activity if you wish. They even laminate the pictures for you so it's basically water-proof and worthy.

There's a old street/tourist street where every night its pretty happening. Beer fish is one of the signature dish there, find a good reputable restaurant to try this if you are interested. The good ones will be using fresh fish (you choose from the tank) and charged by weight. Those that charge per dish/per plate, don't bother to try as the fish is not fresh fish.

Hope this helps! :)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Yangshuo Itinerary Help

I'm in Yangshou right now, and I can tell you quite honestly that I feel your itinerary looks a bit too packed.

You need to account for travel time between the various sites, as well as the fact that you will absolutely not be the only tourists around...there's just heaps of huge Chinese tour groups everywhere, so waiting for them to pass through a given spot takes time.

My advice is to scale back a bit, at the very least. You absolutely do NOT want to rush this very unique experience. The very beauty of the place is so peaceful.

Choose the very top things on your MUST DO list, and if you have time, do the others.

Bike riding through the villages is strongly recommended...these places are changing rapidly, the way of life is changing. Bamboo river cruise is good, to get close to the karsts, but it's very touristy. Don't plan much actual time in Yangshou, it is noisy, crowded, and just overly toursity as well.

If you've not already booked your lodging, I would very strongly recommend The Secret Garden Hotel in JiuXian village. It is built in Qing dynasty buildings, just lovely and a real China experience. Fantastic staff, all very welcoming and very good English spoken.Excellent restaurant as well, Chinese and Western dishes.

Best of luck!

Edited: 8:42 pm, August 30, 2018
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Yangshuo Itinerary Help

PS

Further to my earlier reply, you can check out a few YouTube videos of The Secret Garden online, will give you a feel for this place. I do really recommend staying in a place outside of Yongshou, as you'll be fully immersed in the village life, which would be better than the noisy places in Yongshou city. As well, all of the bike paths, (along YuLong River, to the 400 year old Dragon bridge, tiny villages) intersect through the area. There's signs along the route for small restaurants offering cooking courses... actually, I think you could even learn how to make dumplings here in the Secret Garden restaurant, if planned at an off-time.

Hope this is helpful!

Edited: 9:15 pm, August 30, 2018
Level Contributor
138 posts
5. Re: Yangshuo Itinerary Help

Hi Ashley,

So happy to hear that you will visit our area.your plan is very good.

So you will take the cruise from Guilin to Yangshuo on Li river.,then maybe it is not necessary to do the Xingping Moro cruise?

And Longji rice terraces is on the north of Guilin.drive from Guilin to longji rice terraces is about two hours.drive from Yangshuo to rice terraces is about three hours.

And Silver cave now most of time are lots of tour groups.if you would not like to wait for it.you can think about other cave.

You can have a think about the itinerary below:

Day 1:

Cruise from Guilin to Yangshuo.arrived at Yangshuo drive to the hotel check in. Rent the bikes from the hotel or scooter from a scenic view road along Yulong river to ten miles gallery. You can visit moon hill and water cave.if you take scooter,you can maybe see the sunset at Gongnong bridge .after back hotel.

At night,drive to the impression light show.

Day 2:

In the morning at about 4:30am,drive to see the Sunrise at Xianggong hill.after drive from a scenic countryside road to visit Tea plantation.if this day is Baisha town farmers market,you also can visit it and see the local life from them.after drive to visit Fuli old stone bridge,then you also can do bamboo rafting on Yulong river about 1.5hours.after drive back hotel.relax.

At 4:30pm,drive to Wuzi hill see the amazing Sunset.

Day3:

Do cooking class in the morning.

Afternoon drive to visit Fuli old street,you also can learn the fan painting there, then drive to Xingping town.you take some photos on 20 yuan notes back view place.or do the moto boat there. After drive back hotel.

At night , you can think about see the Romance park.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Yangshuo Itinerary Help

Crown cave was cool...lots of tour groups there though, as well. But maybe Oct will be a bit better, since not peak season?

Reply to: Yangshuo Itinerary Help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted