We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleeper Bus from Shenzhen to Yangshuo

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
421 posts
43 reviews
16 helpful votes
Sleeper Bus from Shenzhen to Yangshuo

Hi everyone

I have seen a few entries about the sleeper bus from Shenzhen to Yangshuo and am interested in getting more information. My husband & I will be travelling in early May.

Where can we get tickets? Can we buy them in Hong Kong at all?

Would the trip be comfortable for someone about 6 foot tall? I have travelled on local transport before in China and know they aren't built for the larger western body.

Ultimately - I would love to be able to say that we checked the sleeper bus out, but if it means a really uncomfortable night for my husband we will have to give it a miss - So please let me know of any recommendations or drawbacks regarding the sleeper bus.

Thanks in advance for all help received.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,376 posts
1 review
1. Re: Sleeper Bus from Shenzhen to Yangshuo

Don't think you can get the tickets in Hong Kong.

Waterloo, Ontario
1 post
2. Re: Sleeper Bus from Shenzhen to Yangshuo

Unless cost is your only concern don't take the sleeper bus. I took the bus in the opposite direction from Yangshuo to Shenzhen. Like you I thought it might be and interesting experience, and it seemed to make sense time wise: wake up and you're at the crossing to Hong Kong. It was an experience, but not one I recommend. What should have been an 8-10 hour trip took 18 hours. Road traffic is increasing exponentially in China and accidents are common. Any traffic jam you meet on the way will waste the time advantage you may have had. I had a good nights sleep but no one else did. The tallest guy had to stick his feet out in the aisle, which probably rules it out for you.

Mudgee, Australia
Level Contributor
219 posts
359 reviews
173 helpful votes
3. Re: Sleeper Bus from Shenzhen to Yangshuo

Hello

We have just returned from a month in China .We started our travel from Hong Kong where it is simple to get the tickets. Just go to a travel agency that operates in China . Ours was located just off nathan rd in Kowloon down the harbour end. to get to the bus we just took the MTR to the border and walked across. There are several bus stations so make sure you get the right one . Basically turn left after you come out of Chinese customs and walk over a bridge. Theres not much English so showing your ticket to someone may work.

I am 6 ft and found the bed s a bit tight but did manage to sleep most of the way.If you are in the top bunk like i was put the seat belt on.Our bus blew a tyre and had to limp along till we found a toll gate with a rattle gun to get it off. I considered an advantage because it meant that we arrived in Yangshuo about 7.30 instead of 5.30. Looking back it was an interesting experience shared with alll sorts of people including locals and a couple of Buddhist monks.

WARNING: When you get to the other end watch out for a very smooth tout who operates under a number of names such as ROBERT> He talked us into staying in a Chinese hotel and a dodgy LI River trip and got the money aout of us quickly before we realised our error. My advice would be to go to West St to find accomodation .Theres plety of places there and should only pay about 60-100 RMB per room . The Bamboo Inn is good ,although their top room is 120 RMB but its big and looks out over the River.

My advice DO IT but watch out for Robert at the bus station.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
421 posts
43 reviews
16 helpful votes
4. Re: Sleeper Bus from Shenzhen to Yangshuo

I have now arrived in Yangshou and am very relaxed. A great place to relax and enjoy a beer or two. My husband and I, neither of us being small people - both about 6 foot and over 100kg - had no problems on the sleeper bus. Admittadly the beds are not wide but both of us were able to get some sleep and enjoyed the experience. The tickets were very easy to pick up in HongKong. We went to a travel agency - China travel - just off Nathan Road on Peking Road. We had a little trouble finding the bus station. We kept ending up at the Lowu bus station instead of the ShenZhen bus station. Immediately after leaving immigration turn left on leaving the building and cross over the train lines. you will see a building immediately ahead. The bus station is at the back of this building. We entered the building, turned left and right at the first possible break in shops, down a flight of stairs and we then had our tickets checked and told to proceed down to the bus station and wait until the bus was ready at gate five. We caught the bus at 7.30pm and got into Yangshuo about 7 - 7.30 am the next morning. I got the top bunk (bunk 29) and I think I had the best deal as I was quite comfortable even though I had to share my bed with my day pack (which was full as we only brought our day packs with us for the 4 days in China). My husband thought he got the better deal as he got the lower bunk (bunk 30)as he got to put his bag beside him on the floor (we were in the bunks right at the back of the bus with the toilet beside ( I don't think anyone used this on the whole tip and it gave me a wall to lean against even though I was in the middle row of beds on the bus). Overall a great experience and one I will be telling everyone when I get home.

Thanks so much to everyone for your advise. I ended up leaving my big bags in Hong Kong at the hotel we will check into on our return so that I didn't have to carry them on the bus or around Shenzhen, thanks for that advise

5. Re: Sleeper Bus from Shenzhen to Yangshuo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 31, 2009