We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shanghai - Suzhou - Hangzhou to Huangshan - Shanghai

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Shanghai - Suzhou - Hangzhou to Huangshan - Shanghai

Hi,

I am nutting out our trip to Shanghai and was hoping someone could give me some advise for travelling Shanghai - Suzhou - Hangzhou - Huangshan - Shanghai.

My questions are :

Is this do-able in 6 days 17/4 - 22/4/14??

What is the difference between a Dtrain and a Gtrain??

Is it advisable to hire a car and self-drive this route??

I have been trawling the forums, but it seems the information is a little outdated (a couple of years old) or not very straight forward.

There are 5 people in our group now.

Thank you in anticipation for your time.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,721 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shanghai - Suzhou - Hangzhou to Huangshan - Shanghai

1. Very rushed. At least one day (pref 2) each for Suzhou and Hangzhou. At least 2 for Huangshan. Plus travel time. That leaves you nothing for Shanghai. Either cut out Huangshan or cut out both Suzhou and Hangzhou.

2. http://www.seat61.com/China.htm#.UxqtNz-wKi0

3. Not possible.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shanghai - Suzhou - Hangzhou to Huangshan - Shanghai

Thank you for your quick reply. I have a couple of spare/ flexible days either side to do Shanghai itself.

That China Train website is fantastic. Thanks for the link ... full speed ahead!

Huangshan
Level Contributor
310 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shanghai - Suzhou - Hangzhou to Huangshan - Shanghai

ay 1. 18 April. Go to Hongqiao Railway station to take speed train (Dtrain is ok)coming to

Suzhou and arrive around 10 am. and you can have a tour over the downtown private gardens

and other well-known spots at Suzhou and take overnight train to Huangshan City ( 10 pm to

09am the next day).

Day 2. 19 April. I suggest you hire a guide and a private car so as to have an efficient

tour, and you can drive to Huangshan directly to the foot of the mountain and put your

luggage at a hotel safe, then take shuttle bus to the cable car station. Get onto the

mountain top by cable car and check in your hotel after walking aongthe well- paved path for

to have a tour and stay overnight on the top, Beihai hotel 4 star, then have a tour on the

top and you can cover all the following scenes: Bright Top, Flying-over Rock, Cloud-

dispelling Povilion, Lion Peak. etc.

Day 3. 20 April. Watch the sunrise in front of your hotel and have more tour on the top and

you can cover most the scenic spots you know and get down to the bottom late in the

afternoon and you can go to the local bus station at Tangkou to take a service around 3 pm

to Hangzhou, 4 hour trip.

Day 4. 21 April. Hangzhou tour, the main sightseeings are focused around the lake and you

can either take cab or hire a van to have the tour, then take Dtrain to Shanghai around 5

pm. You can arrive at Hongqiao railway station within one hour, where the metro servcie leads to your hotel and it is easy to reach either Pudong or the Bund by the subway.

Huangshan
Level Contributor
310 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shanghai - Suzhou - Hangzhou to Huangshan - Shanghai

Day 1. 18 April. Go to Hongqiao Railway station to take speed train (Dtrain is ok)coming to Suzhou and arrive around 10 am. and you can have a tour over the downtown private gardens and other well-known spots at Suzhou and take overnight train to Huangshan City ( 10 pm to 09 am the next day).

Day 2. 19 April. You will arrive at Huangshan around 09:00, I suggest you hire a guide and a private car so as to have an efficient tour, and you can drive to Huangshan directly to the foot of the mountain and put your

luggage at a hotel safe, then take shuttle bus to the cable car station. Get onto the mountain top by cable car and check in your hotel after walking aongthe well- paved path for to have a tour and stay overnight on the top, Beihai hotel 4 star, then have a tour on the top and you can cover all the following scenes: Bright Top, Flying-over Rock, Cloud-dispelling Povilion, Lion Peak. etc.

Day 3. 20 April. Watch the sunrise in front of your hotel and have more tour on the top and you can cover most the scenic spots you know and get down to the bottom early in the afternoon and you can go to the local bus station at Tangkou to take a service around 3 pm to Hangzhou, 4 hour trip.

Day 4. 21 April. Hangzhou tour, the main sightseeings are focused around the lake and you can either take cab or hire a van to have the tour, then take Dtrain to Shanghai around 5 pm. You can arrive at Hongqiao railway station within one hour, where the metro servcie leads to your hotel and it is easy to reach either Pudong or the Bund by the subway.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shanghai - Suzhou - Hangzhou to Huangshan - Shanghai

Thank you for the detail.. this information was VERY helpful!

Malaysia
Level Contributor
90 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shanghai - Suzhou - Hangzhou to Huangshan - Shanghai

John, as i know u r tour guide in HS right? roughly what is the price range to hire a tour guide or do we need a tour guide?

7. Re: Shanghai - Suzhou - Hangzhou to Huangshan - Shanghai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:33 am, March 23, 2015