We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we do 2 nights on summit - family of 4 (6&8 year old)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Should we do 2 nights on summit - family of 4 (6&8 year old)

Hello,

Much appreciate it if any Huangshan expert can suggest a route/hotel stay for us on Huangshan. We are family of 4 from Australia, planning to arrive at Huangshan (from Hangzhou) on the 22-09.

Day 1, we will check into a Tangkou hotel and do a half-day trip to Hongcun in the afternoon;

Day 2 - 3, this is where I am not sure...after reading all the posts and looking at all the maps, I feel that we might need 2 nights on the summit, rather than 1 as suggested by most popular itinerary. Our kids are good walkers - done plenty of medium/hard bush walking in AU national parks, etc. So they can do up to 3-4 hours hike a day, but more than that we will be pushing it...

We would like to definitely see Xihai canyon and hopefully a sunrise, and a hotel where you can just step out see sun rise rather than walking for another 20-30 minutes would be ideal. We do have time on our hand so an extra night is ok. the main thing is to enjoy the view and not rushing the kids. I was originally thinking on day 2:

we go up Yungu cable car - beginning-to-believe peak - stop at Beihai hotel have a rest and have lunch there - walk to stone money and back - Paiyunlou hotel (check in and stay for the night)

day 3: do Xihai Canyon, we all walk down, kids and I then take the new cable car back up, husband will walk all the way back up - lunch & rest at Baiyun hotel - walk down to Yuping cable station and get down.

Now I am not sure if both day 2 and day 3 contain too much walking, whether we should use White Goose hotel (Ala hotel recommends it as sun rise view from hotel room?) as 1st night nd then Baiyun hotel as 2nd night (after Xihai Canyon).

Any suggestion would be much appreciated!

Jenny

California
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Should we do 2 nights on summit - family of 4 (6&8 year old)

Gigi: That is hilarious! CSL teachers should use it in their classes as an example.

Jean-Pierre: Yep, and 2nd tone for Ma could also mean a certain type of big hemp plant that I think is legal to smoke in the Netherlands ...

Huangshan
Level Contributor
297 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Should we do 2 nights on summit - family of 4 (6&8 year old)

Do not go to explore the West Sea Canyon on a bad weather day, as there is no shelter to avoid strong wind and shower on the cliff path.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,280 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Should we do 2 nights on summit - family of 4 (6&8 year old)

John's advice is spot on, as I learned the hard way. John, what is the best way to check the weather forecast? I noticed the hotels have some info listed but it might be in Chinese.

Huangshan
Level Contributor
297 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Should we do 2 nights on summit - family of 4 (6&8 year old)

Based on my experience for the local exploration trekking, do not go down the valley if there is strong wind or during a moment when it is overcast, or it is about to rain very soon. You can go down on a good sunshine day instead of an afternoon it is drizzling. You can make a right decision according to your daily living practice.

California
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Should we do 2 nights on summit - family of 4 (6&8 year old)

Weather Forecast = tian chi yu bao (someone please help me with the Chinese characters), which means what is the weather like in the next few days.

I use www.weather.com Type in Tangkou, China and click 5 days.

16. Re: Should we do 2 nights on summit - family of 4 (6&8 year old)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 12, 2014