We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip To Huangshan From Xi'an 5/28/13

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip To Huangshan From Xi'an 5/28/13

Just wanted to share some details from recent trip up the mountain. Did a day trip and it was super easy. The new tram to the west peak makes a day trip incredibly easy. Ideally I would taken more time, stayed on the mtn and hiked all the peaks. But if you don't have the time you don't have the time, Huangshan was truly amazing and well worth the trip.

Was staying downtown Xi'ian by the bell tower. Took the subway to the north train station, cost 4Y and took about 20 mins. Got on the 10:30 train to Huashan. Once there drop my big bag off at the cafe by the train station, think it cost 4Y to keep it there. Also bought my return ticket back to Xi'ian. Then found a green taxi (don't get in the fake ones, the real ones have taxi signs on them) to base of the mountain. Cost 20Y. You might be able to get it cheaper. You could also take the green shuttle for much cheaper I assume. Cab took 8 mins.

Once at the ticket office for the mtn buy a entrance ticket for mtn and a shuttle to the tram you want to go to (I went to West Peak tram). The ticket for the shuttle is one way, you'll need to by another one when you come down from the mtn. We went to the information table and told the person what we wanted and she wrote it down in Chinese and then we took that to the ticket agent which made it super easy. This is also a good time to get a map.

The bus up to the West Peak took about 50 mins. Once there you need to buy a ticket for the tram. The west tram is about twice the price as the north peak one but well worth it if you don't have much time. We ended up at the West Peak around 12:15. The west peak tram is spectacular, a lot more scenic then the North Tram.

From here I did a quick hike to middle peak and did the plank walk. Plank walk was awesome, one of the coolest things I've done and not nearly as scary as it looks. The middle peak you gives you a pretty sweet view of the east peak and Chess-play pavilion.

From here took a pretty leisurely hike down to the north peak. You go through most of the big sites. Made it the tram in under an hour. It's all downhill and pretty mellow. Watching the people dying as they are coming up you feel a little bad that you cheated. Took the tram down, you have to pay for another shuttle bus down to the base of the mountain. Takes about 20 mins. For some reason they don't drop off at the ticket office you started at. Regardless got a cab back to the train station for 20Y. The same green shuttle was there which I assume would take you there for cheaper. Took about 10 mins. Was back at the train station by like 5:10 to make the 5:45 train.

I could have easily done all the peaks and still made it down in time for the last tram. I was with my girlfriend and she's not a big hiker and not super in shape. I'm in decent shape and I feel like I could have easily done the whole mtn using the north tram in a day, just would have needed to get an earlier start. Ideally you would have more time to see the mtn then I did. Also, I went during the off season, if it was super crowded and there were line for the tram/shuttle I imagine the times might be a little different. You might just need to plan a little more. I am not sure the west tram is going to be great for the mtn but in this case it allowed me to do something I wouldn't have otherwise been able to do so I can't really complain.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,358 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip To Huangshan From Xi'an 5/28/13

It's clear this poster is talking about HUASHAN which is in Shaanxi province near Xi'an. Not Huangshan. Two different places and doesn't belong in the Anhui forum.

That said, it's very good information!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,910 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip To Huangshan From Xi'an 5/28/13

Glad you spotted that, kvchina! I was thinking he must have had a time machine!!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,653 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip To Huangshan From Xi'an 5/28/13

I started reading this and wondered about it then the subway ride made it clear.

I guess it confuses people to see "shan" in so many names. Shan means mountain so you will see it a lot.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,003 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip To Huangshan From Xi'an 5/28/13

snanderbatch Thanks for the useful Huashan report, gave me a good pic of Huashan visit(Ours is Oct 2013). I needed to filter it to the basic data.

Subway from town 4Y 20 min.

Buy return train ticket. 1030AM train.

Green taxi 20Y 8 min to mtn,

Buy mtn tkt. Shuttle bus to West Peak, 50 min. Reach West Peak 1215.

(I assume you mean you take 50 min bus to tram. then changed to tram?)

Hike to North. North tram down. Back to Xian North 510PM.

10AM-5PM. 7 hours.

Thanks.

Edited: 2:34 pm, June 05, 2013
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,003 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip To Huangshan From Xi'an 5/28/13

Despite the wrong mountain in subject and wrong place/site, I understand you meant HUASHAN near Xi'an as in your report.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip To Huangshan From Xi'an 5/28/13

Sorry. I am a retard.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,653 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip To Huangshan From Xi'an 5/28/13

Don't be so hard on yourself, this is a very useful post. It might be a good idea to copy and paste it in the Xi'An forum though, for the benefit of future travelers who will be looking there for advice.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,358 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip To Huangshan From Xi'an 5/28/13

Definitely a good JP suggestion. Repost in the Shaanxi forum, and retitle to read "Huashan" so it's easily findable by others.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,003 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip To Huangshan From Xi'an 5/28/13

When I started looking into Huashan near Xi'an, it took me a few days to find out what HUA is, HUA is not HUANG, and HUANG is not close to HUA, they are not even related, this post actually helped by making a clearer impression on me.

10. Re: Day Trip To Huangshan From Xi'an 5/28/13

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 12, 2014