We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese Taking Photos With Westerners

Which Huangshan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
262 reviews
Save Topic
Chinese Taking Photos With Westerners

Having no insight into the Chinese Psyche we are bemused why Chinese people wanted us to have our photo taken with them on our recent trip. It happened in places where we saw very few non Asian tourists. We obviously look quite different. Mainly young people would smile then indicate they wanted us in their photo. They are probably interested in the West from TV and movies, others wanted photos of us with their children. This happened on our last trip as well, in Lijiang a group of young Mongolians asked if we would be in a group photo.

This was not part of a scam.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,810 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinese Taking Photos With Westerners

Because you look very different. The Chinese are a very uniform looking people (99.9% black hair, eye shape, etc.). Westerners who are very diverse looking and look very different from Chinese are unusual sights in places where they are rarely seen.

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinese Taking Photos With Westerners

We did feel quite exotic! They do like to stand in front of monuments and scenery for photos so I suppose they must see us as that. I must say they were very friendly.

Waterford Works...
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinese Taking Photos With Westerners

Firstly you looks friendly.

Secondly taking photoes with you (foreigner) adds fun to their trip.

Thirdly you are unique "scenery" in their mind :)

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,816 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinese Taking Photos With Westerners

Makes you feel like a movie star. Usually these are Chinese tourists from remote places where white people never set foot. You are even more popular with a blonde hair kid.

Beijingers or Shaighanese could not care less. A few hundred thousands expats live there.

1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinese Taking Photos With Westerners

We have been amazed by the same phenomenon my boyfriend and me. When our pictures arent taken "in secret" they ask us for one. Usually boys ask my boyfriend and girls ask me. I have dark hair and brown eyes so I don't really understand it. Also since last time someone asked me it was a waitress at a restaurant in Shanghai. Where there were lots of other westerners, same evening and probably all of the others as well. We have been to Beijing and Hangzhou and arrived in Shanghai yesterday. We saw several "white people" like ourselves already the first night so Shanghai feels unlikely apart from Beijing and Hangzhou for this interest. I understand it even less now!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,816 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chinese Taking Photos With Westerners

Waitresses in restaurants are usually not locals but rather imported labour from the countryside.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,958 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chinese Taking Photos With Westerners

I saw a Chinese family taking pictures of 2 blonde-haired backpackers in a restaurant on Huangshan. They were not very discreet about it.

My daughter's African-Canadian classmate used to have people approach him in Shanghai, asking to take pictures and touch his hair.

I guess people all over the world are curious. My other daughter told me that in Paris, a guy kept taking pictures of Asian girls on the metro. That sounds a bit creepy imo.

Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chinese Taking Photos With Westerners

I usually only take pictures with things which I don't often see. I guess that is also why those Chinese took pictures with you. If you don't feel comfortable, tell them you don't like that and walk away. Or if you find it funny as well, take them into your pictures.

9. Re: Chinese Taking Photos With Westerners

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:25 pm, December 29, 2013
10. Re: Chinese Taking Photos With Westerners

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 03, 2014