We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hangzhou to Mt. Huangshan to Thousand Islands Lake

United States
Level Contributor
299 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Hangzhou to Mt. Huangshan to Thousand Islands Lake

Hi Everyone:

I will be in Shanghai for work for three weeks. I would like to take an extra week at the end of my trip to go to Hangzhou, Mt. Huangshan and Thousand Islands Lake. I don't want to rush but I am hoping for no more than 5 days - is this enough?

Are there tour guides or tours that you would recommend? I am iffy about to doing it on our own - I am Chinese and can speak the language but I still have culture shock every year I go to China. I would feel much safer with a guide. I haven't been able to find any tour guides/tours suggested by TA members on the forum after 2010 so I hope you can help.

Thanks,

Elle

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Hangzhou
Hangzhou
Zhejiang, China
Huangshan
Huangshan
Anhui, China
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hangzhou to Mt. Huangshan to Thousand Islands Lake

We've just returned from a couple of weeks in China which included Huangshan and Hangzhou. We flew from Shanghai to Huangshan (Tunxi) and stayed at Hui Boutique Hotel overnight. John from China Travel Service Huangshan arranged for a car to meet us at the airport to take us to our hotel.

The next morning he took us to the shuttle bus station at the base of Huangshan. We spent overnight on the mountain and the next morning a driver picked us up to take us to Hongcun, Namping and Xidi. We stayed at Pig's Heaven Inn in Xidi. The next day the driver picked us up at our hotel in Xidi and took as to the bus station in Tunxi.

Ben at Hui Style Hotel in Tunxi will also arrange a driver and is very helpful. He may even take you himself. Personally, I don't see the need to pay the high prices for sub-standard hotels on the mountain. With hindsight I would just take one cable car to the top, walk across to another cable car as a day trip and take it down. Not as easy as it sounds as there are hundreds of steps. There are hotels at the base of the mountain in Tangkou and hot springs.

The bus from Tunxi to Hangzhou was brand new and very comfortable and I'm not a fan of coach travel. The trip took 3 hours with a comfort stop. I absolutely loved Hongcun but we didn't think Namping was a "must-see". After Hongcun Xidi was rather underwhelming.

The driver spoke no English but since you speak Chinese you could ask him any questions if you don't have a guide. John will quote for a guide but you would have to pay the accommodation as far as I understand. John was very attentive and kept in touch with our driver and hotel by phone to make sure everything went smoothly.

We stayed overnight in Hangzhou as we were taking an early morning flight so didn't have much time there. We have been some years ago, it's a very pleasant city with some of the best food we had in China.

Let me know if you would like contact information which has previously been posted on the forum. If you prefer a female driver it may be possible as we've had female drivers in China in the past.

Mentioned in this post
Huangshan
Huangshan
Anhui, China
Hangzhou
Hangzhou
Zhejiang, China
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Hui Boutique Hotel
Hui Boutique Hotel
102 Reviews
Huangshan, China
2. Re: Hangzhou to Mt. Huangshan to Thousand Islands Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 03, 2014