We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for young couple (no professional hikers)

Which Huangshan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
134 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for young couple (no professional hikers)

Hello there,

We'd like to know what our best option would be for a 2 or 3 day trip to Huangshan, considering the following:

- We love hiking but are no professionals (we're in our early 20s).

- We are coming from Hangzhou (we are unsure wether to go with a tour agency or by ourselves).

Should we go by bus from Hangzhou and take the cable car up? Or would we miss beautiful scenery that way? Is the West trail do able for non-trained in approx. 5 hours?

Thanks for the info!

Joeri & Alicia

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,531 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for young couple (no professional hikers)

Do you plan to stay up in the mountains?

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
134 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for young couple (no professional hikers)

Yes, we do!

We checked numerous websites, but we're a bit lost in the tons of information.

Would this be a good idea:

- Bus from Hanzhou to Tunxi.

- Bus from Tunxi to Huangshan.

- By cablecar to the top and walk around there.

- Walk back (the next day) via the West Trail and take the buses back to Hangzhou.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,531 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for young couple (no professional hikers)

Have you booked your hotels in the mountain.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,061 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for young couple (no professional hikers)

Best to take a bus to Tangkou; stay a night and hike up the Western steps in one day (5-6 hours); See the sunrise and hike down the eastern steps (3 hours); Take bus back to Hangzhou. If you are moderately fit this should be an enjoyable "challenge".

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,531 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for young couple (no professional hikers)

That's no fun at all. OP's going to stay up in the mountains and enjoy the scenery. It's not a death march.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
134 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for young couple (no professional hikers)

Hehe. We prefer to stay up in the mountains, if there's a decent hotel available that is. We're waiting with booking until we know how to reach Huangshan and if we're going with an agency or by ourselves.

My girlfriend is afraid she won't find the western road very enjoyable (6 hours of walking up steps sounds pretty tiring), so we were thinking of taking the cablecar and walk around up in the mountains. Would that be a good idea or would we be missing a lot than?

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
134 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for young couple (no professional hikers)

I guess we might have found a nice trip of 3 days which is very affordable (US$78 pp) and includes 3 hours of hiking on the first day. I'm almost thinking it's too good to be true...

www.huangshantour.com/english/ReadNews.asp…

"We drive for about one hour and 15 minutes to reach the foothill of Huangshan where you would take the Yuping Cable Car up the mountain from the western steps, followed by a "Long March" for about 3 and half hours. On the way, you'll find yourself surrounded by numerous breath-taking views, including the Jade Screen Peak, Welcoming-guest Pine Tree, Lotus Peak, Turtle Peak, Heavenly Sea Pavilion, Bright Top Peak, the Flying-over Rock, the Cloud-dispelling Pavilion and Grand Canyon of the West Sea. Overnight up mountain"

Any thoughts?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,531 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for young couple (no professional hikers)

Be warned that the hotels up in the mountain are pretty low standard, even compared to other Chinese hotels. But that's part of the charm of living up in the mountain. I too would take cable car up and walk around. There's lots of up and down hiking even after you take the cable car. You can walk back down.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
134 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for young couple (no professional hikers)

Yes, we don't really have a problem with that. Makes it a bit authentic I guess.

Do you know if the price (US$78) for 2 nights in the Huaxi Hotel and the Paiyunlou Hotel is realistic? I mean, I get suspricious when the price is so terribly low compared to other tours.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,531 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for young couple (no professional hikers)

I don't know the price for the hotels up in the mountains. But their facilities are pretty primitive.